Les Vitraux de l'Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption - Villerville, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 23.990 E 000° 07.682
31U E 291636 N 5475871
Quick Description: [EN] The stained-glass windows of the Church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption in Villerville date from the end of the 19th century. [FR] Les Vitraux de l'Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption à Villerville datent de la fin du XIXème siècle.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 3/22/2021 3:25:25 AM
Waymark Code: WM1400V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

The three stained glass windows of the wall located in the lower south side (XIX ° s.) represent: Family, Work (Saint Joseph working in his workshop) and Charity signed “Vitraux d'Art des Gobelins - P. Chou 'œt - Fi. Mérigot - Paris ”(in the center of the stained-glass window, Saint Martin, on horseback, shares his coat with a poor kneeling in the foreground).

You will find the other stained glass windows:

The stained glass window on the north wall represents the Archangel Michael in armor, coming to slay the dragon.

The stained-glass window on the east wall, on the left, represents the Crowned Virgin, treading on the serpent.

The stained-glass window on the right represents Saint Roch with a halo, as a pilgrim, lifting his tunic to show his bubo.

Finally, the stained glass window on the south wall represents Saint Joseph halo, carrying the Child Jesus, holding the globe surmounted by a Greek cross. They date from the XlX * s. (MAZUE).

"The church of Villerville which replaced the first sanctuary of the parish dates from the 12th century. From this period remain the massive bell tower with the batière roof (roof with 2 inclined sides) and the choir of building in pure style novel.

It was enlarged in 1871 by the two chapels and the sacristy, but it took another 25 years to transform it, and give it the curious silhouette that has been imposed on it today. The expansion work was completed in 1900.

The church houses several very beautiful statues from the 15th to the 19th century and a wooden statue of the local Patron Saint "Saint-Roch". According to legend Saint-Roch, born in 1295, treated patients with plague, a particularly virulent disease at the time, before contracting it himself. This is why we see him regularly represented with his dog licking his wounds.

The church also houses the relics of the local martyr Thomas Jean Montsaint, a priest executed on September 2, 1792 at the abbey of Saint -Germain-des-Prés, for having refused, during the Terror, to take an oath to the Republic (which meant no longer recognizing the authority of the Pope). To salute his courage and his faith, he was beatified by Pius XI in 1926. A commemorative plaque sealed in the bell tower of the church recalls his sacrifice.

Villerville Church also had its musical heyday. Gabriel Fauré composed the "Messe des Pêcheurs de Villerville" which will be performed there without instrument in September 1881, then a second time in September 1882.

Romanesque art has left the Church of the Assumption of Notre-Dame de Villerville, whose nominating patrons were the Oilliamsons, of Scottish origin, Marquis de Courcy and other places, an interesting specimen of its sober and severe style. : the bell tower with a saddleback roof (roof with two inclined sides) with limestone slabs and simple or twin rounded window arches.

The facade is in tuff stone and flint assembled by English joints. The church has a flat bedside, in tuff stones. It is framed by two Romanesque buttresses. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Les trois vitraux du mur situés dans le bas côté sud (XIX° s.) représente : la Famille, le Travail (Saint Joseph travaillant à son atelier) et la Charité signé « Vitraux d‘art des Gobelins — P. Chou’œt - Fi. Mérigot - Paris » (au centre du vitrail, Saint Martin, à cheval, partage son manteau avec un pauvre à genoux. au premier plan).

Vous trouverez les autres vitraux:

Le vitrail situé sur le mur nord représente l'archange Michel en armure, venant de terrasser le dragon.

Le vitrail situé sur le mur est, à gauche, représente la Vierge couronnée, foulant le serpent.

Le vitrail à droite représente saint Roch auréolé, en pèlerin, soulevant sa tunique pour montrer son bubon.

Enfin le vitrail situé sur le mur sud représente Saint Joseph auréolé, portant l’Enfant Jésus, tenant le globe surmonté d'une croix grecque. Ils datent du XlX* s. (MAZUE).

"L'église de Villerville qui remplaça le premier sanctuaire de la paroisse date du XIIe siècle. De cette époque subsistent le clocher massif au toit en batière (toit à 2 pans inclinés) et le choeur de d'édifice en pur style roman.

Elle fut agrandie en 1871 des deux chapelles et de la sacristie, mais il fallut encore 25 ans pour la transformer, et lui donner la curieuse silhouette qu'on lui a imposée aujourd'hui. Les travaux d’agrandissement s'achevèrent en 1900.

L'église héberge plusieurs très belles statues du XVe au XIXe siècle et une statue en bois du Saint Patron local "Saint-Roch". Selon la légende Saint-Roch, né en 1295, soigna les malades atteints de la peste, maladie particulièrement virulente à l'époque, avant de la contracter lui-même. C'est pourquoi on le voit régulièrement représenté avec son chien léchant ses plaies.

L'église héberge aussi les reliques du martyr local Thomas Jean Montsaint, prêtre exécuté le 2 septembre 1792 à l'abbaye de Saint -Germain-des-Prés, pour avoir refusé, pendant la Terreur, de prêter serment à la République (ce qui signifiait ne plus reconnaître l’autorité du Pape). Pour saluer son courage et sa foi, il fut béatifié par Pie XI en 1926. Une plaque commémorative scellée dans la tour du clocher de l'église rappelle son sacrifice.

L’église de Villerville a aussi connu son heure de gloire musicale. Gabriel Fauré composa la "Messe des Pêcheurs de Villerville" qui y sera exécutée sans instrument en septembre 1881, puis une seconde fois en septembre 1882.

L‘art roman a laissé à l'église de l'Assomption de Notre—Dame de Villerville, dont les patrons nominateurs furent les Oilliamson, d’origine écossaise, Marquis de Courcy et autres lieux, un spécimen intéressant de son style sobre et sévère : le clocher portant toit en bâtière (toit à deux pans inclinés) à dalles calcaires et arcatures de fenêtres arrondies simples ou géminées.

La façade est en pierres de tuff et silex assemblées par des joints à l'anglaise. L‘église posséde un chevet plat, en pierres de tuff. Il est encadré par deux contreforts romans."

Sources : L’Eglise

Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
rue de l'église
Villerville, Calvados France
14113


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: 7/7

Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 7:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Les Vitraux de l'Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption - Villerville, France 3/10/2021 pmaupin visited it