L'abbatiale de la Trinité - Fécamp, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 45.317 E 000° 22.900
31U E 311411 N 5514712
Quick Description: [EN] The church of the Trinity of Fécamp, by its size and the richness of the details of its architecture and its decoration is one of the most curious monuments of the French Middle Ages. [FR] L'église de la Trinité de Fécamp, par son ampleur et la richesse des détails de son architecture et de son décor est un des monuments les plus curieux du Moyen Âge français.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 2/27/2021 2:35:31 AM
Waymark Code: WM13W11
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

" The facade

It has a classic-style facade that contrasts with the rest of the building. The door is framed by the monumental statues of the Dukes of Normandy Richard I and Richard II, the two benefactors of the abbey who rest in the abbey. They are the work of sculptor F. Devaux, made in 1881.

The nave

The nave is supported by fairly massive buttresses and flying buttresses.

We discover inside a huge nave with 10 bays and two side aisles. The elevation of the vaults is impressive. The walls are pierced in their upper levels with numerous windows which provide great clarity.

The elevation of the nave is made on three levels: broken arches, a tribune which opens onto a Gothic twin bay with a median column and pierced with quatrefoils with flowered steps, high windows with a passageway pierced in the piers of the formeret arches.

The transept crossing and its lantern tower

The lantern tower, a veritable well of light, soars under vaults at 40 meters. At the crossing of the transept culminates a high Gothic bell tower 65 meters high.

Jean Vallery-Radot dates from the second quarter of the 13th century. The top floor including the bells room was damaged in 1460 by lightning and then restored.

The transept

In the south arm of the transept is a bas-relief known as the dormition of the Virgin. Next to it is a reliquary housing the “Angel's Footsteps”, a trace left by a winged creature in the stone in 943, on the occasion of the dedication of a previous sanctuary.

Finally, in the north cross-piece, there is an astronomical clock, built in 1667 by a clockmaker from Rouen, Antoine Beysse. It indicates in particular the amplitude of the tides and the phases of the Moon.

The bedside

The choir has an ambulatory serving several radiating chapels. To the north, there are the only remains dating from the Romanesque period. All the chapels were closed at the beginning of the 16th century with finely carved fences. We discover several remarkable recumbent figures, as well as the tomb of Guillaume de Volpiano. The axial chapel is dedicated to Notre Dame and dates from the 15th century. In front of her, leaning against the choir, is the tabernacle of the Precious Blood.

In the choir stands the Renaissance high altar, preceded by another canopy high altar, this time from the 18th century. A beautiful 12th century reliquary can also be seen there. It was once covered with polychromy.

Dimensions

Total length: 127 m, Height under vaults of the lantern tower: 40 m, External height of the lantern tower: 65 m.

In the Fonts chapel, in the south arm of the transept, rest under a slab, the bodies of the Dukes of Normandy Richard I of Normandy and Richard II of Normandy. "

Sources : The Church from what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"La façade

Elle possède une façade de style classique qui tranche avec le reste du bâtiment. La porte est encadrée par les statues monumentales des ducs de Normandie Richard Ier et Richard II, les deux bienfaiteurs de l'abbaye qui reposent dans l'abbatiale. Elles sont l'œuvre du sculpteur F. Devaux, réalisées en 1881.

La nef

La nef est étayée par des contreforts assez massifs et des arcs-boutants.

On découvre à l'intérieur une immense nef à 10 travées et deux collatéraux. L'élévation des voûtes est impressionnante. Les murs sont percés dans leurs niveaux supérieurs de nombreuses baies qui apportent une grande clarté.

L'élévation de la nef se fait sur trois niveaux : des arcades brisées, une tribune qui s'ouvre sur une baie géminée gothique avec une colonne médiane et percée de quadrilobes à redents fleuronnées, des fenêtres hautes avec une coursière percées dans les piédroits des arcs formerets.

La croisée de transept et sa tour-lanterne

La tour-lanterne, véritable puits de lumière, s'envole sous voûtes à 40 mètres. À la croisée du transept culmine un haut clocher gothique de 65 mètres de haut.

Jean Vallery-Radot la date du deuxième quart du XIIIe siècle. Le dernier étage comprenant la pièce des cloches a été endommagé en 1460 par la foudre puis restauré.

Le transept

Dans le bras sud du transept se trouve un bas-relief connu sous le nom de dormition de la Vierge. À côté, figure un reliquaire abritant le « Pas de l'Ange », trace qu'aurait laissée une créature ailée dans la pierre en 943, à l'occasion de la dédicace d'un précédent sanctuaire.

Dans le croisillon nord enfin, figure une horloge astronomique, construite en 1667 par un horloger de Rouen, Antoine Beysse. Elle indique notamment l'amplitude des marées et les phases de la Lune.

Le chevet

Le chœur possède un déambulatoire desservant plusieurs chapelles rayonnantes. Au nord, on trouve les seuls vestiges datant de l'époque romane. Toutes les chapelles furent fermées au début du XVIe siècle par des clôtures finement sculptées. On y découvre plusieurs gisants remarquables, ainsi que le tombeau de Guillaume de Volpiano. La chapelle axiale est consacrée à Notre Dame et date du XVe siècle. Face à elle, adossé au chœur, se situe le tabernacle du Précieux Sang.

Dans le chœur trône le maître-autel Renaissance, précédé par un autre maître-autel à baldaquin, du XVIIIe siècle cette fois. Un beau reliquaire du XIIe siècle y est également visible. Il était autrefois couvert de polychromie.

Dimensions

Longueur totale : 127 m, Hauteur sous voûtes de la tour-lanterne : 40 m, Hauteur extérieure de la tour-lanterne : 65 m.

Dans la chapelle des Fonts, dans le bras sud du transept, reposent sous une dalle, les corps des ducs de Normandie Richard Ier de Normandie et Richard II de Normandie. "

Sources : L’Eglise d’après ce que nous dit Wikipédia.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited L'abbatiale de la Trinité - Fécamp, France 2/24/2021 pmaupin visited it