Marguerite Bourgeoys - Québec, Québec
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
N 46° 48.541 W 071° 12.825
19T E 331102 N 5186320
Quick Description: Cette sculpture de Marguerite Bourgeoys est située dans une niche, sur la façade centrale de l’hôtel du Parlement à Québec. This sculpture of Marguerite Bourgeoys is located in a niche, on the central façade of the Parliament Building, in Quebec.
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 1/13/2021 10:26:06 AM
Waymark Code: WM13N72
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Née le 17 avril 1620 à Troyes, en France, Marguerite Bourgeoys est la fille d'Abraham Bourgeoys, maître chandelier et monnayeur, et de Guillemette Garnier.

Marguerite Bourgeoys se joint à la congrégation externe de la congrégation de Notre-Dame de Troyes en 1640. Elle accompagne Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve à Ville-Marie (Montréal) en 1653 et, cinq ans plus tard, elle met sur pied une mission vouée à l'enseignement. Elle reçoit ses premiers élèves dans une étable située près de l'hôpital Saint-Joseph.

En 1658, Marguerite Bourgeoys se rend en France pour y recruter trois jeunes filles qui l'aideront dans sa mission d'enseignement. En 1663, elle accueille les Filles du roi à Ville-Marie. Sept ans plus tard, elle fait construire une chapelle dédiée à Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours. Lors d'un second voyage en France, de 1670 à 1671, elle obtient du roi des lettres patentes pour l'établissement d'une congrégation religieuse en Nouvelle-France. Elle rentre à Ville-Marie accompagnée de trois de ses nièces. Après avoir ouvert un pensionnat pour jeunes filles nobles et bourgeoises à Montréal en 1676, elle fonde l'ouvroir de la Providence, une première école pour les jeunes filles pauvres. Vers 1678, elle établit une mission au village amérindien de la Montagne pour enseigner aux jeunes filles autochtones.

Marguerite Bourgeoys démissionne de son poste de supérieure en 1683. Cependant, les deux candidates à sa succession meurent dans l'incendie qui ravage la maison-mère de la congrégation. Marguerite Bourgeoys reprend donc la direction de la communauté jusqu'en 1693. La congrégation de Notre-Dame de Montréal est érigée canoniquement en communauté religieuse en 1698. Marguerite Bourgeoys prend alors le nom de soeur Marguerite du Saint-Sacrement. Elle consacre les dernières années de sa vie à la prière.

Vers la fin de sa vie, Marguerite Bourgeoys rédige ses mémoires. Ces documents sont partiellement détruits lors des incendies de la maison-mère en 1768 et en 1893. Certains extraits ont été recopiés. Ils sont conservés aux archives de la maison-mère de la congrégation et à l'archevêché de Montréal.

Elle est décédée à Montréal le 12 janvier 1700. Elle est béatifiée en 1950 et canonisée en 1982.

Source: (visit link)

Translated from the above note text:

Born April 17, 1620 in Troyes, France, Marguerite Bourgeoys is the daughter of Abraham Bourgeoys, master candlestick and coin acceptor, and Guillemette Garnier.

Marguerite Bourgeoys joined the external congregation of the Congregation of Notre-Dame de Troyes in 1640. She accompanied Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve to Ville-Marie (Montreal) in 1653 and, five years later, she set up a dedicated mission to teaching. She receives her first pupils in a stable located near the Saint-Joseph hospital.

In 1658, Marguerite Bourgeoys went to France to recruit three young girls who would help her in her teaching mission. In 1663, she welcomed the Daughters of the King to Ville-Marie. Seven years later, she built a chapel dedicated to Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours. During a second trip to France, from 1670 to 1671, she obtained letters patent from the king for the establishment of a religious congregation in New France. She returns to Ville-Marie accompanied by three of her nieces. After opening a boarding school for noble and bourgeois young girls in Montreal in 1676, she founded the Ouvroir de la Providence, a first school for poor young girls. Around 1678, she established a mission in the Amerindian village of La Montagne to teach young native girls.

Marguerite Bourgeoys resigned from her position of superior in 1683. However, the two candidates for her succession died in the fire which ravaged the mother house of the congregation. Marguerite Bourgeoys therefore took over the leadership of the community until 1693. The Congregation of Notre-Dame de Montréal was canonically established as a religious community in 1698. Marguerite Bourgeoys then took the name of Sister Marguerite du Saint-Sacrement. She devotes the last years of her life to prayer.

Towards the end of her life, Marguerite Bourgeoys wrote her memoirs. These documents were partially destroyed during the fires at the parent company in 1768 and 1893. Some extracts were copied. They are kept in the archives of the motherhouse of the congregation and at the Archdiocese of Montreal.

She died in Montreal on January 12, 1700. She was beatified in 1950 and canonized in 1982.
Associated Religion(s): Catholique - Catholic

Statue Location: Hôtel du Parlement à Québec - Parliament Building in Quebec City

Entrance Fee: Aucun - None

Artist: Jean-Émile Brunet

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the statue. A waymarker and/or GPSr is not required to be in the image but it doesn't hurt.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Statues of Religious Figures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.