Pulpit - St. Servatius - Brühl, NRW, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member FamilieFrohne
N 50° 50.212 E 006° 53.112
32U E 351092 N 5633815
Quick Description: DE: Die hölzerne Kanzel der Kirche St. Servatius in Brühl. EN: The wooden pulpit of the St. Servatius Church in Brühl.
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 12/27/2020 3:48:35 AM
Waymark Code: WM13JV9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 3

Long Description:
DE: Nachdem im Brühler Stadtteil Kierberg die Bevölkerungszahl durch den nahen Braunkohleabbau stark anstieg, wurde die Kirche St. Servatius in den Jahren 1903 und 1904 nach Plänen des Architekten Alfred Tepe im Stil der Backsteingotik errichtet.

Für die Innenausstattung der Kirche wurden sowohl neue Elemente (wie Beichtstuhl und Kanzel) als auch gestiftete Elemente aus anderen Kirchen (wie der Matthias-Altar aus St. Margaretha in Brühl) verwendet. Die hölzerne Kanzel befindet sich an der Westwand der Kirche in etwa 1,2m Höhe und kann über eine kleine Treppe erreicht werden. Die Kanzel ist von der Grundfläche her sechseckig und zeigt an vier der Seitenwänden im Relief die geflügelten Symbole der Evangelisten: den Adler für Johannes, den Stier für Lukas, den Löwen für Markus und den Menschen für Matthäus. An den Eckpunkten der Kanzel sind auch geschnitzte Figuren angebracht, die (wahrscheinlich) die Evangelisten darstellen sollen. Der hölzerne Kanzeldeckel ist auch von sechseckiger Form, in der Mitte ist eine geschnitzte Friedenstaube aus hellerem Holz angebracht.

---

EN: After the population in the Kierberg district of Brühl rose sharply due to the nearby lignite mining, the St. Servatius Church was built in the brick Gothic style in 1903 and 1904 according to plans by the architect Alfred Tepe.

New elements (such as the confessional and pulpit) and donated elements from other churches (such as the Matthias Altar from St. Margaretha in Brühl) were used for the interior of the church. The wooden pulpit is located on the west wall of the church at a height of about 1.2 m and can be reached via a small staircase. The pulpit has a hexagonal base and shows the winged symbols of the evangelists in relief on four of the side walls: the eagle for John, the bull for Luke, the lion for Mark and the man for Matthew. At the corners of the pulpit there are also carved figures that are (probably) supposed to represent the evangelists. The wooden pulpit cover is also hexagonal in shape, with a carved peace dove made of lighter wood in the center.
Approximate age of artefact (Year): 1903

Relevant website: [Web Link]

Times available for viewing: Usually (when there is no service) from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Entrance fee (if applicable), local currency: none

Visit Instructions:

Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark, and write something about your visit.
 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wooden Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Seebär777 visited Pulpit - St. Servatius - Brühl, NRW, Germany 1/6/2021 Seebär777 visited it