Les Vitraux de l'Église Saint-Firmin - Saint-Firmin-lès-Crotoy, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 15.671 E 001° 37.507
31U E 402002 N 5568575
Quick Description: [EN] The stained glass windows of the Saint-Firmin church were made in the 1870s. [FR] Les vitraux de l'église Saint-Firminont été réalisés dans les années 1870.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 12/14/2020 6:14:30 AM
Waymark Code: WM13H1B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"The church of Saint-Firmin-lès-Crotoy (formerly Berteaucourt-lès-Rue) is mentioned for the first time in a charter of 1197 present in the cartularies of the chapter of the cathedral of Amiens.

An 1850 watercolor, the work of Oswald Macqueron on deposit in the Abbeville library, shows the church with its old nave.

The Saint-Firmin church was extensively altered at the end of the 19th century. The nave with Romanesque openings was rebuilt in brick in the neo-Gothic style and the roof leveled with that of the choir.

The massive bell tower surmounted by a bulbous belfry and the choir were built in sandstone. Moreover, the bell tower is the oldest part of the building since the sandstone tower (just like in the capital) probably dates from the 16th century. The bell it contains was melted down in 1519. The stained-glass windows were made in the 1870s, one of them is a gift from the mayor of the time, Vasseur-Delong, as evidenced by the inscription in bottom of the window.

The current building has been restored mainly in brick for the original part formerly in chalk.

The church retains traditional cult furniture: wooden high altar with carved panels, secondary altars, pulpit, stone baptismal font ... as well as 18th century tombstones. "

Sources : The Church From what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"L'église de Saint-Firmin-lès-Crotoy (autrefois de Berteaucourt-lès-Rue) est mentionnée pour la première fois dans une charte de 1197 présente dans les cartulaires du chapitre de la cathédrale d’Amiens.

Une aquarelle de 1850, œuvre d'Oswald Macqueron en dépôt à la bibliothèque d'Abbeville, montre l'église avec son ancienne nef.

L'église Saint-Firmin a été remaniée en profondeur à la fin du XIXe siècle. La nef aux ouvertures romanes a été reconstruite en brique dans le style néo-gothique et la toiture mise au niveau de celle du chœur.

La massive tour-clocher surmontée d'un beffroi à bulbe et le chœur ont été bâtis en grès. D'ailleurs, le clocher constitue la partie la plus ancienne de l'édifice puisque la tour de grès (tout comme au chef-lieu) date probablement du XVIe siècle. La cloche qu'il renferme a été fondue en 1519. Les vitraux ont été réalisés dans les années 1870, l'un d'entre eux est un don du maire de l'époque, Vasseur-Delong, comme en témoigne l'inscription en bas du vitrail.

L'édifice actuel a été restauré essentiellement en brique pour la partie primitive autrefois en craie.

L'église conserve un mobilier cultuel traditionnel : maître-autel en bois avec panneaux sculptés, autels secondaires, chaire à prêcher, fonts baptismaux en pierre... ainsi que des pierres tombales du XVIIIe siècle."

Sources : L’église D'après ce que nous dit Wikipédia.

Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
Rue des écoles
Saint-Firmin les Crotoy, Somme France
80550


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: 7/7

Hours of Operation: From: 8:30 AM To: 6:30 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Les Vitraux de l'Église Saint-Firmin - Saint-Firmin-lès-Crotoy, France 10/20/2020 pmaupin visited it