Chateau de Vallon Pont d Arc,France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 44° 24.441 E 004° 23.722
31T E 611103 N 4918064
Quick Description: the castle which is today the town hall le chateau qui est aujourd'hui la mairie
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 12/10/2020 1:44:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM13GGR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member tiki-4
Views: 1

Long Description:
En according to Wikipedia:
The city's first castle was located on the so-called Chastelas hill to the east of the current town. Burned down in 1559 at the start of the religious wars, it was rebuilt and then destroyed again by the Protestant troops of the Duke of Rohan in 1628. In 1629, after the capitulation of Privas, King Louis XIII freed all the Protestant places of Vivarais, including Vallon-Pont-d'Arc and imposes a fine of ten thousand pounds on the Protestant inhabitants and the obligation to build a new castle for the lord of the moment, and where he decides.

He chose to build at a place called Saint-Saturnin where there was a ruined construction from the end of the 16th century which served as the basis for the current castle. The works began in 1630 and ended in 1639. The walls were built of pebbles and stones, in the continuity of the remains of the old foundations.

In 1748 the Merle de Lagorce family bought the house. The municipality acquired the building from the heirs of Henriette Merle de Lagorce in 1847 for the sum of 42,000 francs, and successively installed schools, justice of the peace, pastor's accommodation, telegraph, weighing of cocoons ... The castle is today ' hui the town hall, it is open to the public.

Fr selon Wikipedia :
Le premier château de la ville était situé sur la colline dite du Chastelas à l'est de l'agglomération actuelle. Incendié en 1559 au début des guerres de religions, il est reconstruit puis de nouveau détruit par les troupes protestantes du duc de Rohan en 1628. En 1629, après la capitulation de Privas, le roi Louis XIII affranchit toutes les places protestantes du Vivarais, dont Vallon-Pont-d'Arc et impose une amende de dix mille livres aux habitants protestants et l'obligation de construire un nouveau château pour le seigneur du moment, et où celui-ci le décidera.

Il choisit de faire construire au lieu-dit Saint-Saturnin où existait une construction en ruines de la fin du xvie siècle qui servit de base pour l'actuel château. Les travaux commencèrent en 1630 et s'achevèrent en 1639. Les murs furent construits en galets et en pierres, dans la continuité des restes des anciennes fondations.

En 1748 la famille Merle de Lagorce achète la demeure. La municipalité acquiert le bâtiment aux héritiers d'Henriette Merle de Lagorce en 1847 pour la somme de 42 000 francs, et y installe successivement écoles, justice de paix, logement de pasteur, télégraphe, pesée des cocons... Le château est aujourd'hui l'hôtel de ville, il est ouvert au public.

Wikipedia
Accessibility: Partial access

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.