Natchez Trails: Views of St. Catherine Street - Western End - Natchez, MS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Markerman62
N 31° 33.535 W 091° 23.860
15R E 652077 N 3492659
Quick Description: Located on St. Catherine Street east of North Dr. Martin Luther King Street., Natchez
Location: Mississippi, United States
Date Posted: 11/30/2020 6:18:48 PM
Waymark Code: WM13FGJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member scrambler390
Views: 0

Long Description:
Photographer Earl Norman stood on Jefferson Street and snapped this view of the intersection of St. Catherine, Martin Luther King and Jefferson streets.
A single column of the portico of Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church appears on the far right. Holy Family Church seemingly stands in the middle of the street.
The white two-story building is the Triangle Service Station built in the 1940s with material from the historical mansion Homewood that burned in 1940. The Triangle Service Station replaced an early two-story brick building that appears in an older photograph of the intersection (top,
adjacent column).
The two-story building that occupied the triangle at the intersection of St. Catherine and Martin Luther King streets dated to the early nineteenth century. It was demolished about 1940 for the construction of the Triangle Service Station (above left). Holy Family's tower appears on the far right and the tower of St. John's Methodist on the far left.
St. Catherine Street had substantial and insubstantial buildings. At the rear of the building in the triangle (above) stood an example of an insubstantial building (right). Only three buildings
in this view survive today: (1) the two-story brick building on the left, (2) the one-story building at the dead end of the street, and (3) the one-story building at the northwest corner of Jefferson and Martin Luther King streets.
This view of the north side of St. Catherine Street pictures Louis Gonnellini's café and grocery; Hugh Stallone's grocery; the intersection with D'Evereux Street; the Pan-Am Service Station; and the two nearly matching brick houses at 25 and 27 St. Catherine Street. Helen Gonnellini stands beside the family car with her daughter.
The early non-extant house above stood on the south side of St. Catherine Street between Orange and Keims avenues.
Earl Norman stood at the intersection of D'Evereux Street and looked east to take this photograph of St. Catherine Street. The Pan-Am sign identifies the corner service station with the two nearly matching brick houses just beyond. Barely visible on the left is the marquee of the Ace Theater which no longer stands.
Older Italian women, dressed in black, walk along the south side of St. Catherine Street west of Fourth Street on their way to mass at Holy Family Church. This was once a common site on Sundays.
Date Installed:: 2010

Organization that placed the object:: City of Natchez

Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes

Related Website:: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1. Please log only those locations you visit personally.
2. Feel free to give your impressions of the object and any other information or pictures pertaining to it.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Mississippi Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Markerman62 visited Natchez Trails: Views of St. Catherine Street - Western End - Natchez, MS 12/15/2020 Markerman62 visited it