Foncine, Texas - Frisco, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 10.488 W 096° 46.163
14S E 707984 N 3672881
Quick Description: A sign placed by the Collin County Historical Commission stands in front of a Kwik Kar oil change station, noting this as the general area of where the Foncine community once stood. Today, it is part of Frisco.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 10/26/2020 7:07:20 PM
Waymark Code: WM13AJK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 0

Long Description:
Collin County's emblem is above "Foncine, Texas" and a vintage photo of the old general store, and the text reads:

Foncine was first settled near this location in the late 19th century when Robert Coleman Fisher built a general store, gristmill, cotton gin and grain elevator, serving the needs of a growing rural population, almost all involved in farming. Also known as Fisher's Gin, the town of Foncine had a population of 100 in 1900, and its post office served residents from February 18, 1895 to Nov. 30, 1901. Foncine children attended one of three rural schools: Pleasant Ridge, Rock Hill, or Upper Rowlett. In the late 1890s, the town was a stop on the Star Stagecoach route that included McKinney, Rock Hill and Erudia. When the railroad bypassed Foncine in the early 1900s, most of the businesses, including R.C. Fisher's gin, closed or moved to Frisco along with a few homes. Foncine families included the Fishers, Johnsons, Quisenberries, Standerfers, Adams, and others. In 1907, Shelby Adams, the oldest son of William and Pauline Ware Adams, purchased a general store and moved it to this site at the intersection of Coit Rd. and Eldorado Pkwy. Known then as Foncine Rd. Shelby's Foncine Store sat at an angle as the main road made a ninety-degree turn for anyone traveling to or from McKinney. For a total of 43 years, the Foncine store was the only business that kept the community of Foncine on county maps. Eventually the store burned, most of the old homes were demolished, and Foncine is now part of the city of Frisco.

Property of Collin County Historical Commission
2020

-----

The community's name lives on at a park just around the corner on Coit Road.
Group that erected the marker: Collin County Historical Commission

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
12500 W Eldorado Pkwy
Frisco, TX USA
75035


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.