St Mary - Everdon, Northamptonshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 12.724 W 001° 07.871
30U E 627682 N 5786270
Quick Description: Medieval church of St Mary, Everdon.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/7/2020 11:00:53 AM
Waymark Code: WM1380E
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
"A large grand church set in the heart of this village positioned on a knoll. Before rushing inside stray round the back as here you will not only get a very good view but also encounter the gothic south porch which is particularly handsome and well decorated. Then back to the north porch and inside. It strikes one as a huge space – one which would have inspired late 18th century watercolourists like Girton or Cotman. Their eye would certainly have been caught by the unusual elevated balcony high up at the back of the nave. Lower down they would have observed the 14th century stone screen with its delicate tracery which still lies between nave and chancel. The very scale of this interior makes one stop and think what was it that inspired the medieval mind at Everdon to create such a building. The 19th century intervened twice – a sensitive restoration of the chancel, 1862 – 3, by the local boy, Giles Gilbert Scott, who was born just over the Buckinghamshire border at Gawcott in 1839. Then in the early 1890’s Bodley and Garner provided very good choir stalls, the lecturn and then the organ. The contemporary windows are Burliston & Grylls. One good Jacobean wall monument to Thomas Spencer (Althorp and Wormleighton) by Jasper Horremans, 1606."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"Early C14, restored c.1860 and 1891-92 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed squared ironstone and ironstone ashlar with some limestone dressings; lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light C19 Perpendicular style window, 2-light windows with Y-tracery to south, 2 similar windows to north and C19 vestry to north-east. Nave has clerestory with four 2-light Perpendicular windows with segmental heads north and south. North aisle has 3-light east and west windows with reticulated tracery to north, one to west of porch, two to east. Many-moulded north door has 3 orders of shafts and foliage capitals to left, plain to right, within gabled north porch with double-chamfered doorway. One-light cusped windows east and west. South aisle has 4-light east windows with Curvilinear tracery either side of porch, and 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South door has many-moulded arch ornamented with fleurons innermost, then ballflower and stem with leaves suggesting trailing vine outermost; 3 shafts and foliage capitals; crocketed ogee hood mould with finial. South porch has chamfered and shallow hollow-chamfered doorway, inner arch resting on polygonal capitals and responds; one-light blocked windows east and west. Sundial above doorway. 3-stage west tower has 2-light Decorated window (renewed), small one-light cusped windows to north, south and west, and 2-light Decorated bell-openings . Tower and south aisle diagonal buttresses and buttresses between bays of chancel and aisles, all off-set. Plain stone coped parapets throughout except for north porch which is stone coped only, the tower having renewed pyramidal pinnacles to each corner. All windows have hood moulds some with fine carved head label stops. Interior: chancel has 3-bay sedilia with cusped ogee heads and crocheted hood moulds, a many-cusped tomb recess to north-east and chamfered priest's door to north roof, choir stalls and organ-case of 1891-2 by Bodley and Garner. Chancel arch has double wave-moulded arch the innermost on polygonal responds. C14 rood screen. Nave has 4-bay arcades with sunk chamfered arches on circular moulded capitals and circular piers with wide fillets. Tie beam roof of 1755. Piscina at east end of north aisle (south side) and south-east end of south aisel. Octagonal C13 Purbeck marble font, with 2 blank pointed arches to east side, on renewed stem and colonettes; C19 timber cover with ogee volutes supporting finial. C17 communion table in south aisle. Pulpit of 1808, octagonal, on base of 1892. Royal Arms of George III, oil on canvas, in tower together with painted Charity Board and funeral hatchment. West gallery of uncertain date, much renewed 1892 with staircase with turned balusters giving access to roofs. Glazing mostly clear glass with many old crown glass quarries; some medieval stained glass fragments including, a Pelican in her Piety in north-west nave window and deer in south aisle. Stain glass east window of chancel (1906), east window, south aisle (1921) and other south aisle windows by Burlison and Grylls. Wall monument to Thomas and Dorothy Spencer, set up 1606, of alabaster with English marble columns with Corinthian capitals framing inscription. Brasses of 1613 to Adam Robyns and 1605 to Timothy Dod."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.