Église Saint-Léger - Cognac, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 41.717 W 000° 19.700
30T E 708004 N 5063664
Quick Description: [EN] The Saint-Léger church, built from 1130, was enlarged and remodeled over the next three centuries, which explains the presence of many architectural styles. [FR] L'église Saint-Léger, construite à partir de 1130, fut agrandie et remaniée au cours des trois siècles qui suivirent, ce qui explique la présence de nombreux styles architecturaux.
Location: France
Date Posted: 10/6/2020 12:19:30 PM
Waymark Code: WM137X7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

"The Saint-Léger church is the largest of the churches in Cognac. Former priory of the Benedictines, it is today the main parish church of the city. Built from 1130, it was enlarged and altered during the three centuries which followed, which explains the presence of many architectural styles, a unique assemblage in a region where one observes a predominance of the Romanesque style.

The current church succeeds a first wooden building established in the course of the 11th century by the Benedictine monks of the Abbey of Ébreuil, an important religious establishment located in Bourbonnais. From 1130, the monastery devoted a large part of its income to the construction of an imposing priory church in a Romanesque style combining influences from Saintonge (facade), Angoumoisines (elevation of the walls of the nave) and Périgord (bell tower). The initial construction lasts for an estimated period of 50 or 80 years.

In the 13th century, the transept and the choir were partially rebuilt. In the following century, ribbed vaults replace the row of domes that originally covered the building. During the stone cleaning work in 1995, it was discovered that the keystones of the nave were painted red and gold and closed with wooden plugs. Two side chapels were also added on either side of the choir in the 14th century. In the 15th century, the facade was given a large rosette with flamboyant tracery, a gift from Jean d'Orléans (grandfather of King François I).

Two votive chapels dedicated to Saint Joseph and Saint Anne are added to the level of the first and third bay of the side chapel of the Sacred Heart (to the left of the choir). Another, called the "chapel of the dead", located in the extension of the southern cross, served as a funeral chapel when families did not have enough space to keep the bodies of the deceased at home. At the same time, the church is fortified and provided with a walkway.

The wars of religion lead to the reconversion of the building into a Protestant temple for about twenty years from 1598. Some sculptures are victims of brief iconoclastic thrusts, particularly those which adorn the arches of the portal3. In 1622, while the Counter-Reformation policy was developing, a community of Benedictine nuns took possession of the buildings of the former priory, from where they would be driven out in 1792 by the Convention.

The church, which suffered from some depredations during the revolutionary period, was restored by Paul Abadie between 1845 and 1860. From this period date in particular the frescoes of the chapels of the Sacred Heart and of the Virgin, the neo-Gothic decoration of the choir as well that the galleries and several modillions, redone identically in 1860. Paul Abadie has not restored the facade, no doubt stopped in his tracks, following the refusal of the authorities to accept his project to replace the rose window by neo-Romanesque style openings.

In 1861, the great organs were installed in a gallery behind the high altar. Two separate sideboards make it possible to reveal the glass roof of the bedside, typical of radiant architecture.

Several modifications took place in the course of the 20th century: that of the Saint-Pierre chapel (extension of the chapel of the Virgin to the right of the choir) was carried out in 1960. It is in fact the former chapter house of the convent Benedictine. A restoration campaign for the entire building was carried out from 1995 to 1999.

From an architectural point of view, the Saint-Léger church is a building of synthesis incorporating elements typical of the Romanesque architecture of Saintonge, Angoumois and Périgord, to which were added Gothic additions during subsequent alterations. "

Sources : The Church from what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"L'église Saint-Léger est la plus grande des églises de Cognac. Ancienne prieurale des bénédictins, elle est aujourd'hui la principale église paroissiale de la ville. Construite à partir de 1130, elle fut agrandie et remaniée au cours des trois siècles qui suivirent, ce qui explique la présence de nombreux styles architecturaux, un assemblage unique dans une région où on observe une prédominance du style roman.

L'église actuelle succède à un premier édifice en bois établi dans le courant du XIe siècle par les moines bénédictins de l'abbaye d'Ébreuil, important établissement religieux situé en Bourbonnais. À partir de 1130, le monastère consacre une large partie de ses revenus à l'édification d'une imposante église prieurale dans un style roman mêlant influences saintongeaises (façade), angoumoisines (élévation des murs de la nef) et périgourdines (clocher). La construction initiale dure pendant une période estimée à 50 ou 80 années.

Au XIIIe siècle, le transept et le chœur sont partiellement reconstruits. Au siècle suivant, des voûtes à croisées d'ogives viennent remplacer la file de coupoles qui couvrait originellement l'édifice. Lors des travaux de nettoyage de la pierre en 1995, il a été découvert que les clefs de voûte de la nef étaient peintes en rouge et or et fermées par des bouchons en bois. Deux chapelles latérales sont également ajoutées de part et d'autre du chœur au XIVe siècle. Au XVe siècle, la façade se voit dotée d'une large rosace à remplage flamboyant, cadeau de Jean d'Orléans (grand-père du roi François Ier).

Deux chapelles votives dédiées à Saint Joseph et Sainte Anne viennent se greffer au niveau de la première et de la troisième travée de la chapelle latérale du Sacré-Cœur (à gauche du chœur). Une autre, appelée "chapelle des morts", située dans le prolongement du croisillon sud, servait de chapelle mortuaire lorsque les familles n'avaient pas assez de place pour garder les corps des défunts chez eux. Dans le même temps, l'église est fortifiée et munie d'un chemin de ronde.

Les guerres de religion entraînent la reconversion de l'édifice en temple protestant pendant une vingtaine d'années à partir de 1598. Quelques sculptures sont victimes de brèves poussées iconoclastes, particulièrement celles qui ornent les voussures du portail3. En 1622, alors que se développe la politique de Contre-Réforme, une communauté de religieuses bénédictines prend possession des bâtiments de l'ancien prieuré, d'où elles seront chassées en 1792 par la Convention.

L'église, qui souffre de quelques déprédations durant la période révolutionnaire, est restaurée par Paul Abadie entre 1845 et 1860. De cette époque date notamment les fresques des chapelles du Sacré-Cœur et de la Vierge, le décor néo-gothique du chœur ainsi que les galeries et plusieurs modillons, refaits à l'identique en 1860. Paul Abadie n'a pas restauré la façade, sans doute arrêté dans son élan, à la suite du refus des autorités d'accepter son projet de remplacement de la rosace par des ouvertures de style néo-roman.

En 1861, les grandes orgues sont installées dans une tribune aménagée derrière le maître-autel. Deux buffets séparés permettent de dégager la verrière du chevet, typique de l'architecture rayonnante.

Plusieurs aménagements ont lieu dans le courant du XXe siècle : celui de la chapelle Saint-Pierre (prolongement de la chapelle de la Vierge à droite du chœur) est réalisé en 1960. Il s'agit en fait de l'ancienne salle capitulaire du couvent bénédictin. Une campagne de restauration concernant l'ensemble de l'édifice est menée de 1995 à 1999.

D'un point de vue architectural, l'église Saint-Léger est un édifice de synthèse reprenant des éléments typiques de l'architecture romane saintongeaise, angoumoisine et périgourdine, auxquels sont venus se greffer des adjonctions gothiques lors de remaniements ultérieurs. "

Sources : L’Eglise d’après ce que nous dit Wikipédia.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Saint-Léger - Cognac, France 10/6/2020 pmaupin visited it