Ancien Couvent des Filles de Notre-Dame - Mons, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 27.350 E 003° 57.183
31U E 567653 N 5589748
Quick Description: [EN] Conservatory of music since 1873, the former convent of the Daughters of Notre Dame is accessible from rue de Nimy through an entrance porch. [FR] Conservatoire de musique depuis 1873, l'ancien couvent des Filles de Notre Dame est accessible depuis la rue de Nimy par un porche d'entrée.
Location: Hainaut, Belgium
Date Posted: 9/24/2020 6:04:57 AM
Waymark Code: WM1360C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"Occupied by the Royal Conservatory, this former convent was built from 1619 to 1670 to give shape to a U-shaped ensemble arranged around a paved courtyard accessible by a porch transformed in the 19th century. Dominating the courtyard, the main body of three Tournaisian-type levels are dated 1620. A Renaissance-inspired niche, vaulted in a shell and flanked by Ionic columns under a semi-circular pediment stands out. The rear facade has a baroque semicircular portal, carved with a throat interrupted by flat rings and underlined by a drip edge ending in volutes on either side of a trapezoidal key, under a shell niche.

A Baroque chapel, built in bricks and blue stone in 1650, forms a right angle with this building. Its nave ending in an apse is punctuated by buttresses which are damped in a volute. It is punctuated over its entire height by three drip edges, the last of which follows the arches of the high windows. The chapel is accessible by a molded door with a cross-shaped cartouche lintel, under a broken pediment where a niche framed by fins takes place under a curved pediment. An octagonal bell-tower covered with a dome overlooks the slate saddleback.

A more modest wing, dated 1651, faces the chapel. Independent from the other buildings, the old infirmary of 1636 housed the Jean Lescarts museum from 1934 to 2004, which later became the Historium de Mons. "

Sources : The Convent

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Occupé par le Conservatoire royal, cet ancien couvent a été édifié de 1619 à 1670 pour donner corps à un ensemble en U disposé autour d’une cour pavée accessible par un porche transformé au XIXe siècle. Dominant la cour, le corps principal de trois niveaux de type tournaisien est millésimé de 1620. Une niche d'inspiration Renaissance, voûtée en coquille et flanquée de colonnes ioniques sous un fronton semi-circulaire s'en détache.La façade arrière présente un portail baroque en plein cintre, creusé d’une gorge interrompue par des anneaux plats et souligné d’un larmier s’achevant en volutes de part et d’autre d’une clé trapézoïdale, sous une niche en coquille.

Une chapelle baroque, édifiée en briques et pierre bleue en 1650, forme un angle droit avec ce bâtiment. Sa nef terminée en abside est scandée de contreforts qui s’amortissent en volute. Celle-ci est rythmée sur toute sa hauteur par trois larmiers dont le dernier épouse les arcs des fenêtres hautes. La chapelle est accessible par une porte moulurée dotée d’un linteau à cartouche à crossettes, sous un fronton brisé où prend place une niche encadrée d’ailerons sous un fronton courbe. Un campanile octogonal couvert d’un dôme surplombe la bâtière d’ardoises.

Une aile plus modeste, datée de 1651 fait face à la chapelle. Indépendante des autres bâtiments, l’ancienne infirmerie de 1636 a accueilli de 1934 à 2004 le musée Jean Lescarts, amené à devenir l’Historium de Mons. "

Sources : Le Couvent

Group that erected the marker: Mons Town Hall / Mairie de Mons

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
7 Rue de Nimy
Mons, Hainaut Belgium
7000


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Ancien Couvent des Filles de Notre-Dame - Mons, Belgium 8/27/2020 pmaupin visited it