Hôtel de ville de Mons - Mons, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 27.300 E 003° 57.133
31U E 567596 N 5589654
Quick Description: [EN] At the heart of the Grand-Place de la Cité du Doudou, the Town Hall was built during the second half of the 15th century. [FR] Au cœur de la Grand-Place de la Cité du Doudou, l'Hôtel de Ville fut construit pendant la seconde moitié du XVe siècle.
Location: Hainaut, Belgium
Date Posted: 9/14/2020 1:00:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM134HM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

“At the origin of its communal organization, Mons had a Town Hall called“ Maison de la Paix ”. Previously, the aldermen sat in the castle of the Counts of Hainaut, of which only the concierge, the Saint-Calixte chapel remains. and some underground rooms as well as the enclosure.This place is now the Castle Park, where the belfry is located.

Already in the 13th century, accounts mention the Maison de la Paix, located rue de Nimy. Other documents from the same period suggest that there were two Houses of Peace, one rue de Nimy, the oldest, another on the market. In 1323 Count William I gave the authorization to build the Maison de la Paix on the site of the current Town Hall.

We then speak of a "Town House" built in stones and bricks at the base, the superstructure being of wood. This building underwent various modifications during the 15th century, until 1477, when the powder magazine in the nearby arsenal exploded. The destroyed buildings were rebuilt and benefited from further modifications and extensions over the following centuries. From then on, the City called on the architect Mathieu de Layens in 1479 to restore the town hall, which would still undergo modifications until the 18th century.

The visible facade of the Grand-Place is symmetrical and has ten bays and two levels built in the Brabant Gothic style. The central part of the ground floor is pierced by a large portal leading to the main courtyard. This portal is surmounted by a wrought iron balcony in Louis XVI style. The high bay windows on the ground floor and the first floor are similar. They each form a pointed arc. The roof has four dormers. The Renaissance-style campanile was added in the 18th century. It contains a bell dating from 1390, the Bancloque, and bears a dial clock overlooking the Grand-Place as well as a luminous clock.

The rear facade has a turret with cut sides. On the right side of the main courtyard, you can see a 16th century Gothic building and on the left side, the rear of the nave of the Saint-Georges chapel. "

Sources : The Town Hall from what wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"À l'origine de son organisation communale, Mons avait un Hôtel de Ville appelé « Maison de la Paix ». Auparavant, les échevins siégeaient au château des comtes de Hainaut, dont il ne reste actuellement que la conciergerie, la chapelle Saint-Calixte et quelques salles souterraines ainsi que l'enceinte. Cet endroit est maintenant le Parc du Château, où se trouve le beffroi.

Au XIIIe siècle déjà, des comptes mentionnent la Maison de la Paix, située rue de Nimy. D'autres documents de la même époque laissent supposer qu'il existait deux Maisons de la Paix, l'une rue de Nimy, la plus ancienne, une autre sur le marché. En 1323 le comte Guillaume Ier donne l'autorisation de bâtir la Maison de la Paix sur l'emplacement de l'actuel Hôtel de Ville.

On parle alors d'une « Maison de Ville » construite en pierres et briques à la base, la superstructure étant de bois. Ce bâtiment subit différentes modifications au cours du XVe siècle, jusqu'en 1477, année où le magasin à poudre qui se trouvait dans l'arsenal voisin explosa. Les bâtiments détruits furent reconstruits et bénéficièrent de nouvelles modifications et d'agrandissements au cours des siècles suivants. Dès lors, la Ville fait appel en 1479 à l'architecte Mathieu de Layens pour restaurer l'hôtel de ville qui subira encore des modifications jusqu'au XVIIIe siècle.

La façade visible de la Grand-Place est symétrique et compte dix travées et deux niveaux construits dans le style gothique brabançon. La partie centrale du rez-de-chaussée est percée par un grand portail permettant de se rendre dans la cour d'honneur. Ce portail est surmonté d'un balcon en fer forgé de style Louis XVI. Les hautes baies du rez-de-chaussée et du premier étage sont similaires. Elles forment chacune un arc brisé. La toiture possède quatre lucarnes. Le campanile de style Renaissance fut ajouté au XVIIIe siècle. Il contient une cloche datant de 1390, la Bancloque, et porte une horloge à cadran donnant sur la Grand-Place ainsi qu'une horloge lumineuse.

La façade arrière possède une tourelle à pans coupés. Du côté droit de la cour d'honneur, on peut voir un bâtiment gothique du XVIe siècle et du côté gauche, l'arrière de la nef de la chapelle Saint-Georges. "

Sources : L’Hôtel de ville d'après ce que nous dit wikipedia.

Group that erected the marker: Mons Town Hall / Mairie de Mons

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
Grand Place 22
Mons, Hainaut Belgium
7000


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Alucard0057 visited Hôtel de ville de Mons - Mons, Belgium 6/21/2022 Alucard0057 visited it
pmaupin visited Hôtel de ville de Mons - Mons, Belgium 8/27/2020 pmaupin visited it

View all visits/logs