Église Sainte-Élisabeth - Mons, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 27.334 E 003° 57.266
31U E 567752 N 5589719
Quick Description: [EN] A chapel built in the 14th century gives way to a Gothic building in the 16th century, then Baroque in the 18th century. [FR] Une chapelle construite au XIVe siècle fait place à un édifice gothique au XVIe, puis baroque au XVIIIe siècle.
Location: Hainaut, Belgium
Date Posted: 9/7/2020 7:55:12 AM
Waymark Code: WM133BC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

"The Sainte-Élisabeth Church is a religious building located on rue de Nimy, a hundred meters from the Grand-Place in Mons, Belgium. A chapel built in the 14th century gives way to a Gothic building in the 16th century, then a Baroque building in the 18th century Closed during the French revolutionary period, it became a Catholic parish again in 1803.

History In 1345, Isabeau d´Antoing, widow of Gérard de Werchin, donated her private mansion on rue de Nimy in Mons to build a chapel dedicated to her patron saint, Elisabeth, Queen of Hungary. The chapel grows in importance, to the point that we want to make it a parish. Jealous of their privileges, the clergy of the Saint-Germain parish opposed them for a long time.

Finally, in 1516, with the agreement of the chapter of Saint-Germain, the parish was erected. The building of a church that meets the needs of a parish is immediately started. This Gothic-style church was consecrated on October 16, 1588. It was embellished and transformed during the 17th century.

In 1714, during the celebration of the feast of the Annunciation, an accidental fire devastated the building. Restoration work is being undertaken under the direction of the Mons architect Claude-Joseph de Bettignies. Pillars, ribs and facade which resisted the fire are preserved. The rest is rebuilt in baroque style. The new campanile was completed in 1720.

Under the French revolutionary regime (1794) the church was requisitioned to serve the worship of the "goddess Reason". It returned to Catholic worship in 1797 and became a parish again in 1803.

Description 62 meters long and 29 meters wide, the church has a nave separated from the two aisles by a series of sixteen pillars. The church is lit by 44 windows, of which only four are historiated. The elegant campanile dates from 1720.

The lower part of the facade dates from 1686 (first church) while the upper part is more recent: 1719-1720. Halfway up the façade, the chronogram [Deo aUgUstaeqUe eLIsabeth eXtrUCtUM] gives the date of construction of the church façade: 1686. "

Sources : The Church from what wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" L’église Sainte-Élisabeth est un édifice religieux sis rue de Nimy, à une centaine de mètres de la Grand-Place de Mons, en Belgique. Une chapelle construite au XIVe siècle fait place à un édifice gothique au XVIe, puis baroque au XVIIIe siècle. Fermée durant la période révolutionnaire française elle redevient paroisse catholique en 1803.

Histoire En 1345, Isabeau d’Antoing, veuve de Gérard de Werchin donne son hôtel particulier de la rue de Nimy à Mons pour qu’y soit construite une chapelle dédiée à sa sainte patronne, Élisabeth, reine de Hongrie. La chapelle prend de l’importance, au point qu’on souhaite en faire une paroisse. Jaloux de leurs privilèges le clergé de la paroisse Saint-Germain s’y oppose longtemps.

Finalement, en 1516, avec l’accord du chapitre de Saint-Germain, la paroisse est érigée. On met immédiatement en chantier l’édification d’une église conforme aux besoins d’une paroisse. Cette église de style gothique est consacrée le 16 octobre 1588. Elle est embellie et transformée durant le XVIIe siècle.

En 1714, lors de la célébration de la fête de l’Annonciation, un incendie accidentel dévaste l’édifice. Des travaux de restauration sont entrepris sous la direction de l’architecte montois Claude-Joseph de Bettignies. Piliers, nervures et façade qui ont résisté au feu sont conservés. Le reste est reconstruit en style baroque. Le nouveau campanile est terminé en 1720.

Sous le régime révolutionnaire français (1794) l’église est réquisitionnée pour servir au culte de la ‘déesse Raison’. Elle est rendue au culte catholique en 1797 et redevient paroisse en 1803.

Description Longue de 62 mètres et large de 29 l’église présente une nef séparée des deux bas-côtés par une série de seize piliers. L’église est éclairée par 44 verrières dont seulement quatre sont historiées. L’élégant campanile date de 1720.

La partie inférieure de la façade date de 1686 (première église) tandis que la partie supérieure est plus récente : 1719-1720. À mi-hauteur de la façade le chronogramme [Deo aUgUstaeqUe eLIsabeth eXtrUCtUM] donne la date de construction de la façade de l'église: 1686. "

Sources : L’Eglise d'après ce que nous dit wikipedia.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Sainte-Élisabeth - Mons, Belgium 8/27/2020 pmaupin visited it