McIntosh Memorial - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 50° 40.373 W 120° 21.204
10U E 687000 N 5616791
Quick Description: Erected at a prominent viewpoint in 1932 by the Rotarians, the McIntosh Memorial was dedicated to James McIntosh, influential pioneer of the Kamloops area.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/30/2020 5:44:46 PM
Waymark Code: WM1328N
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
Just west of Columbia Street at Greenstone Drive, The McIntosh Memorial is located at what is known as the Kamloops Scenic Lookout. The lookout affords a splendid view of the city of Kamloops and the Thompson River Valley, below. Parking spaces can be found to the rear of the memorial, as well as a BC Stop of Interest marker:
Fur, Gold and Cattle
Founded in 1812, Fort Kamloops stood at a natural crossroads. For 50 years it remained the focus of an inland fur empire the roaring mining boom of the 1880's. Ranchers with cattle and horses replaced the miners. They settled, and stayed to see two railways bring prosperity anew to this land of sagebrush, sun and great rivers.

DEPARTMENT OF
RECREATION & CONSERVATION

Employed by the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC), James McIntosh was not the typical trapper and fur trader one would usually associate with the HBC. He was, instead, a prospector, contractor, entrepreneur, and eventually a civic leader. Born August 19, 1842 in Bytown (Ottawa), McIntosh left his native town in 1862 for the gold fields of British Columbia’s Cariboo district. He went to Williams Creek, then the centre of the gold-rush, where he stayed until December 1863. He then engaged in other mining ventures on Vancouver Island, finally signing on with the HBC in January of 1866. He was a member of an HBC work party that set out from Victoria for the interior. At Shuswap Lake McIntosh helped build the first sternwheeler to sail the Thompson River, thereafter giving up mining for good and pre-empting land a few miles west of the HBC fort at Kamloops.

Historic Places Canada picks up his story below.
McIntosh Memorial
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The McIntosh Memorial is a one-storey Period Revival pavilion with heavy timber posts, half-timbering and a high-pitched shingle roof. It is situated on a steeply sloping landscaped site at the Kamloops Lookout on Columbia Street West, with expansive views of Kamloops.

HERITAGE VALUE
The McIntosh Memorial, built in 1932, is significant for its association with James McIntosh (1843-1901), an influential Kamloops pioneer, businessman and community leader. Born in Ottawa, McIntosh came to Kamloops in 1865, where he was employed by the Hudson's Bay Company. McIntosh purchased land, helped build the first paddlewheeler in the region, established flour and sawmills, and installed the city's first waterworks and light system. He was also involved in the community, serving as the first magistrate, an alderman, first president of the Board of Trade and chairman of the board of the Royal Inland Hospital. His efforts led him to become known as the ‘King of Kamloops.’ Commissioned by the Rotary Club to commemorate McIntosh’s community efforts, this memorial was originally situated on the west end of Nicola Wagon Road, where it was unveiled in a ceremony on September 15, 1932. The McIntosh Memorial was moved to its current location on Columbia Street West in 1989.

The McIntosh Memorial is further valued as an example of the work of prominent Kamloops architect Iain R. Morrison (1906-1954). Born in Kent, England, Morrison opened an office in Kamloops in 1932, where he worked until his death at the age of forty-eight. The McIntosh Memorial includes traditional British stylistic elements, and is a noteworthy example of the romantic traditionalism popular between the First and Second World Wars.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Key elements that define the heritage character of the McIntosh Memorial include its:
- prominent location at a public lookout
- form, scale and massing, as expressed by its one-storey height, rectangular plan, central washroom core, central roof vent and steeply-pitched gabled roof
- wood-frame construction, with heavy timber posts and arched brackets made of local spruce, and cedar shingle roof
- elements of the Period Revival influence, as expressed in traditional details such as half-timbering, flared roof edges and waney-edged boards (bark-edged) in the gable peaks
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
500 block Columbia Street West
Kamloops, BC
V2C 1K6


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.