Stuart Wood School - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 50° 40.440 W 120° 20.115
10U E 688278 N 5616961
Quick Description: Completed in 1907, this school was one of many designed by prolific Newfoundland born architect William Tuff Whiteway (1856-1940). It stands on the south side of St. Paul Street in downtown Kamloops.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/28/2020 1:39:03 PM
Waymark Code: WM131XP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
The stately school building is predominately Romanesque Revival in style, as exemplified by the Roman arched windows, massive masonry construction, the pedimented portico supported by Doric columns and a fanlight window over the central entrance.

The school was the third in the city, with the first built at the site of the Old Courthouse and the second at the Stuart Wood site, but nearer the street. Stuart Wood School opened in 1907, teaching all grades until 1913. Growth of the city forced the construction of more schools from 1913 onward. Originally known as Kamloops Public School, it was renamed after its first principal, Stuart Wood, who moved from his hometown of Peterborough, Ontario, to Kamloops in 1886. Stuart Wood quickly became principal, continuing to teach older elementary students, but had to retire from his job in 1910 due to hearing loss. The school was renamed in 1922, two decades before he died.

By 2013 its future as a school appeared to be in doubt. Its future as a building was not in doubt, however, as it has been designated a heritage building by the City of Kamloops, which now owns the building.

On June 23, 2014, school trustees passed a bylaw which would officially close Stuart Wood School, to take effect on July 31, 2016. After 109 years of continuous use as a public school, in June of 2016 the school taught its final classes. Excerpts from a Castanet news article on the school's closing follow. For a short while a homeless shelter was housed in the building and, while the city has no definite plans for the building at present, its converstion into a cultural centre seems a definite possibility.
School closing after 109 yrs
There are mixed feelings all around as students and staff at Stuart Wood Elementary countdown to the last assembly, says school principal Blair Lloyd. Tuesday’s gathering marks not only the end of the year but the end of 109 years of public education at the school, which opened as Kamloops Public School 14 years after the City of Kamloops was incorporated.

Staff have had plenty of time to reflect on the transition as they’ve packed up materials accumulated over the years. There was an open house in early June to mark the closing and transition. Students presented voices of the past on an outdoor stage to bring history to life. Former students showed up as well, including some who had attended as far back as the 1930s.

The packing at Stuart Wood has been a more ambitious effort, however, as staff have worked to preserve a lot of history on the walls and in storage. Archivist Judy Dunn has been cataloguing materials for storage elsewhere in district facilities.

The City continues to explore potential future uses for Stuart Wood after TRU indicated this spring that it has opted not to make use of it as a satellite campus.
From Castanet Kamloops
Stuart Wood School
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
Stuart Wood School is a three-storey schoolhouse with a symmetrical façade, red brick cladding, a broad hipped roof, front and rear gabled projections and Classical Revival detailing. Built in 1906-07, it is situated on a large corner lot, surrounded by an open schoolyard with mature perimeter plantings, set far back from the street, on the south side of St. Paul Street in the downtown core of Kamloops.

HERITAGE VALUE
Stuart Wood School is significant as one of the earliest surviving schools in Kamloops. Its prominence demonstrates the growth and development of the community over time and the high value that was placed on public education at the time of its construction. This was the town’s third public school, opened in 1907 as the Kamloops Public School just fourteen years after Kamloops was incorporated. Until 1913, the elementary grades met on the first two floors, while the high school grades met on the top floor. It is now an elementary school.

The school is valued for its association with its first principal, Edward Stuart Wood (1857-1942). Originally from Peterborough, Ontario, Wood moved to Kamloops in August 1886, taught until 1910, and continued to live in Kamloops until his death in 1942. This school was renamed in his honour in 1922.

Stuart Wood School is also a very significant example of the architectural work of William Tuff Whiteway (1856-1940), who was born in Musgrave, Newfoundland, but relocated to Vancouver at the time of Vancouver's Great Fire in 1886. In addition to his commercial work, Whiteway specialized in the design of schools, and provided the plans for a number of schools throughout the province. The architecture of this school conveys a sense of permanence and order, demonstrating the late persistence of the Romanesque Revival style in its massive masonry construction and round-arched windows. The emerging influence of the Classical Revival style is also evident in the pedimented portico, classical columns, and fanlight window above the central entrance. The large sash windows were characteristic of contemporary school design, arranged to take advantage of natural light and ventilation.

Stuart Wood School also has heritage value for the community as a tangible link to the past, because much of the exterior and interior fabric of the school is original to its construction a century ago. The top-floor classroom, equipped with authentic furnishings, is interpreted to provide students with the experience of a historical classroom setting.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Stuart Wood School include its:
- location on a large downtown corner lot, set back far from St. Paul Street
- continuous use as a school for over a century
- institutional form, scale and massing as expressed by its three-storey height, full-height basement, symmetrical rectangular plan, hipped roof with front and rear gabled projections, and central front entry with columned and pedimented entry porch
- robust construction, including wooden materials, such as heavy timber internal framing, wooden columns and bracketted soffits, and masonry elements, such as red-brick cladding, parged stringcourses and internal chimneys
- windows, including four-over-four double-hung wooden-sash windows on the first and second floors, six-over-six double-hung wooden-sash windows on the third floor with arched transoms above the three central windows, and arched fanlight above the front entrance
- high degree of retention of original interior features, such as wooden wainscoting, wooden trim, maple floors, lath-and-plaster walls, panelled doors with original hardware, internal staircase with newel posts with drop finials, original room configuration including third-storey classroom, and original boiler and coal chute
- associated landscape features, such as surrounding grassed schoolyard and playing fields, and mature perimeter plantings such as Silver Maples and Horse Chestnut trees
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
245 St. Paul Street
Kamloops, BC
V2C 2J2


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.