Cattle Car and Caboose - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 50° 40.720 W 120° 19.357
10U E 689151 N 5617512
Quick Description: This pair of railway memorabilia stands beside an entry point for the Kamloops Rivers Trail, the longest and most used group of trails in Kamloops.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/26/2020 7:01:42 PM
Waymark Code: WM131ND
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
This one time Canadian Northern Railway (later Canadian National Railway) caboose, built in 1912, is a now heritage property, owned by the City of Kamloops and displayed at Pioneer Park at Seventh Avenue and Front Street. Standing alongside it is a wooden cattle car, also a one time Canadian Northern Railway (later Canadian National Railway) cattle car, built circa 1910.

These pieces of railway rolling stock were chosen by the City of Kamloops to signify the importance of the railroads to the city's growth and prosperity, as well as the importance of cattle ranching. Thousands of acres of rolling grazing land in the general area were given over to cattle ranching, established in the early 1860s. It was the arrival of the railways, the Canadian Pacific in 1885 and the Canadian Northern in 1915, which made large scale cattle ranching viable, enabling quick and efficient shipment of cattle and other livestock to market.
Cattle Car and Caboose
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The Cattle Car and Caboose are railroad cars, situated on a railway siding off Seventh Avenue near Front Street in Kamloops. The Caboose, dating from 1912, is an original rail car with tongue-and-groove wooden cladding and a steering lookout. The Cattle Car is of steel and wood construction with a sliding door on the side. Its date of manufacture is unknown.

HERITAGE VALUE
The Cattle Car and Caboose are valued as examples of Canadian Northern Railway (later Canadian National Railway) rolling stock and serve as a testament to the railway’s importance to the economic development of Kamloops. The Canadian Northern Railway line was extended to Kamloops in 1915, bringing prosperity and an abundance of employment opportunities. The railway allowed passenger transport and facilitated the mobility of goods and livestock, benefitting trade in the region. Kamloops became a divisional point for the Canadian Northern Railway, a place where trains exchanged crews, resulting in a permanent population of railway workers. In 1919, the Canadian Northern Railway and the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway merged to form the Canadian National Railway (C.N.R.), further enhancing the importance of Kamloops as part of a national rail network.

The Cattle Car and Caboose are also significant for their links to the city's thriving cattle ranching industry, which was established in the early 1860s and became a fundamental component of the local economy. The railway facilitated the movement of cattle and strengthened the city's position as the center of the cattle industry in British Columbia. The area was home to some of British Columbia’s most successful cattle ranchers, and Kamloops became the headquarters of the B.C. Cattlemen’s Association, established in 1929, and the B.C. Livestock Association, established in 1943.

The Cattle Car and Caboose were withdrawn from service and presented to the Kamloops Chamber of Commerce in 1970. The two cars were used as tourist information booths on the Yellowhead Highway until 1982. They have since been restored and are now located on land owned by the City of Kamloops. The Caboose is one of only fifty such cabooses still extant in Canada.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Key characteristics that define the heritage character of the Cattle Car and Caboose include their:
- location on a railway siding

Cattle Car:
- vernacular form, scale and massing suitable for the transport of live cattle
- manufactured steel elements such as the undercarriage and wheels
- wood construction of the upper car, including wooden side slats with gaps for ventilation, and diagonal supports

Caboose:
- vernacular form, scale and massing that conform to functional requirements, including a lookout
- manufactured steel elements such as the hog truss undercarriage and wheels
- wood construction of the upper car, including tongue-and-groove cladding and wooden sash windows
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
7th Avenue at Front Street
Kamloops, BC
V2C 1V7


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.