Collegiale Notre Dame de Grande Puissance - Lamballe, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 48° 28.239 W 002° 30.756
30U E 536025 N 5368727
Quick Description: the Collegiate Church dominates the city. la Collégiale domine la ville.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 8/20/2020 12:31:28 AM
Waymark Code: WM130BT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
En source Religious heritage:
The Notre-Dame-de-Grande-Power collegiate church in Lamballe stands on the hillside. It is bordered by a 19th century retaining wall built in a style imitating medieval military architecture.
The plan of the church, eight bays long, is elongated, and ends with a flat apse. The nave has three vessels. The steeple, with a square base, rises at the crossing of the non-projecting transept, on four powerful composite piers. The church has two portals: the first opens at the center of the western facade, the second at the third bay of the nave. The western facade transcribes the three vessels of the nave. The northern flank stylistically testifies to the different phases of construction of the building. The interior spaces are materialized in the exterior elevation of the north and south flanks by a succession of gables. The north flank is pierced by a large Romanesque porch of exceptional quality with regard to regional production; it was restored in the 19th century respecting the original party. The south elevation of the choir is distinguished by its fortified nature; it is surmounted by a walkway bordered by battlements, going around the bedside. In the last span of the southern flank, the entrance to the old casemate, now walled up but still accessible from the inside, is materialized by a large semicircular arch. Two passages which once allowed the movement of the guards run in front of the last bay of the southern flank and the southern bay of the chevet. This apse is supported by a buttress to the north, and by a tower housing a spiral staircase providing access to the old guard room, located in the attic, to the south. The sacristy, attached to the bedside, dates from the 19th century. The belfry, once crowned with an arrow, is now covered by a balustraded terrace.

The nave, covered with a barrel vault broken from wood, betrays the influence of Norman architecture through its pillars and capitals, the decorative repertoire of which generously combines leaves and billets. The elevation of the nave has two levels: each large arcade is surmounted by an oculus. The first two spans of the north aisle house the huts and are covered with wooden vaults reinforced by tie-bars. The south aisle of the choir is made up of two small chapels separated from each other by openwork networks borrowed from the English style. The pulpit to preach is the work of the carpenter-sculptor Jean Richard; it dates from 1681. The rood screen, of an exceptional state of conservation, was probably offered by Marguerite de Clisson, wife of Jean de Blois, count of Penthièvre - a hypothesis disputed by André Mussat in 1950. It was reassembled around 1723 to the entrance to the south aisle of the choir. It is surmounted by an organ case from the beginning of the 17th century. The elevation of the choir is higher than that of the nave. To the north, it has four levels: the large arches, a circulation gallery giving access to the tower supporting the apse through a passageway in front of the master glass, the triforium, then false windows - tall. The southern elevation presents a more sober aspect: large arches, triforium and high windows. The choir is slightly off-center.

The church hosts a program of contemporary stained-glass windows produced by Geneviève Asse and Olivier Debré and installed between 1995 and 2015. Only two earlier stained-glass windows are preserved: Le vœu des Lamballais, produced by Max Ingrand in 1954, and Progression labyrinthique, executed by Christine Cocar in 1984. The large choir bay, made in the mid-19th century from a design by Peter Hawke and deposited in 2011, is now partially enhanced in the building.

Fr source Patrimoine religieux :
La collégiale Notre-Dame-de-Grande-Puissance de Lamballe se dresse à flanc de colline. Elle est bordée par un mur de soutènement du XIXe siècle bâti dans un style imitant l’architecture militaire médiévale.
Le plan de l'église, long de huit travées, est allongé, et s'achève par un chevet plat. La nef comporte trois vaisseaux. Le clocher, à base carrée, s'élève à la croisée du transept non-saillant, sur quatre puissantes piles composées. L’église comporte deux portails : le premier s’ouvre au centre de la façade occidentale, le second à la troisième travée de la nef. La façade occidentale retranscrit les trois vaisseaux de la nef. Le flanc nord témoigne stylistiquement des différentes phases de construction de l’édifice. Les espaces intérieurs sont matérialisés dans l’élévation extérieure des flancs nord et sud par une succession de pignons. Le flanc nord est percé d’un large porche roman d’une exceptionnelle qualité au regard de la production régionale ; il fut restauré au XIXe siècle dans le respect du parti d’origine. L’élévation sud du chœur se distingue par sa nature fortifiée ; elle est surmontée d’un chemin de ronde bordé de créneaux, faisant le tour du chevet. À la dernière travée du flanc sud, l’entrée de l’ancienne casemate, aujourd’hui murée mais toujours accessible par l’intérieur, est matérialisée par un grand arc en plein-cintre. Deux passages qui permettaient autrefois la circulation des gardes courent au-devant de la dernière baie du flanc sud et de la baie méridionale du chevet. Ce chevet est épaulé par un contrefort au nord, et par une tour abritant un escalier en colimaçon permettant l’accès à l’ancienne salle des gardes, située sous les combles, au sud. La sacristie, greffée au chevet, date du XIXe siècle. Le beffroi, autrefois sommé d’une flèche, est désormais couvert par une terrasse à balustrade.

La nef, couverte d’une voûte en berceau brisé de bois, trahit l'influence de l'architecture normande par ses piliers et ses chapiteaux dont le répertoire décoratif marie généreusement feuilles et billettes. L’élévation de la nef présente deux niveaux : chaque grande-arcade est surmontée d’un oculus. Les deux premières travées du collatéral nord accueillent des enfeux et sont couvertes de voûtes en bois renforcées par des entraits à engoulants. Le collatéral sud du chœur est formé de deux petites chapelles séparées entre elles par des réseaux ajourés empruntés au style anglais. La chaire à prêcher est l'œuvre du menuisier-sculpteur Jean Richard ; elle date de 1681. Le jubé, d’un état de conservation exceptionnel, fut probablement offert par Marguerite de Clisson, épouse de Jean de Blois, comte de Penthièvre – une hypothèse contestée par André Mussat en 1950. Il fut remonté vers 1723 à l'entrée du collatéral sud du chœur. Il est surmonté d’un buffet d’orgue du début du XVIIe siècle. L’élévation du chœur est plus élevée que celle de la nef. Au nord, elle présente quatre niveaux : les grandes-arcades, une galerie de circulation permettant d’accéder à la tour épaulant le chevet en passant par une coursive aménagée au-devant de la maîtresse-vitre, le triforium, puis de fausses fenêtres-hautes. L’élévation sud présente un parti plus sobre : grandes-arcades, triforium et fenêtres-hautes. Le chœur est légèrement désaxé.

L'église accueille un programme de vitraux contemporains réalisés par Geneviève Asse et Olivier Debré et mis en place entre 1995 et 2015. Seuls deux vitraux antérieurs sont conservés: Le vœu des Lamballais, réalisé par Max Ingrand en 1954, et Progression labyrinthique, exécuté par Christine Cocar en 1984. La grande baie du chœur, réalisée au milieu du XIXe siècle selon un carton de Peter Hawke et déposée en 2011, est aujourd'hui partiellement mise en valeur dans l'édifice.

Patrimoine religieux
Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): PA00089222

Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Église

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Bretagne ; Côtes-d'Armor (22) ; Lamballe ; rue Notre-Dame

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): 12e siècle, 13e siècle, 15e siècle

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB):
Eglise : classement par avis de classement du 2 août 1848 et liste de 1862


Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 8/2/1848

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.