Lakeview Cemetery - Penticton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 31.174 W 119° 34.504
11U E 313629 N 5488402
Quick Description: Lakeview Cemetery is one of the larger cemeteries in the area. Located along Lower Bench Road, it is about 3 km northwest of Penticton.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/17/2020 4:38:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM1300E
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
Lakeview Cemetery is a well maintain cemetery within the Okanagan-Similkameen Regional District. Bordering the west side of the cemetery is the Kettle Valley Rail Trail, here running along the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake.

This has been the City of Penticton's primary burial ground since its opening in 1910. To date it has accepted approximately 8,000 interments and we would estimate it to be 15 to 20 acres in size.

At the southern end of Lakeview Cemetery is a beautifully laid out mausoleum, created in the style of a plaza with individual columbariums lining both the perimeter of the plaza and the perimeter of a large circle in the centre of the plaza. The plaza has a fountain in the centre of the circle of columbariums and, further south, a domed gazebo walled with more columbariums. On the north edge of the plaza is a large curved pergola, made of the three standard construction materials which have been in use since the dawn of the iron age: stone, wood and iron.
Lakeview Cemetery
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
Lakeview Cemetery is a municipal burial ground situated on the east bench of Penticton, British Columbia. Its location, below Naramata Road, offers a spectacular view of Okanagan Lake. The cemetery contains many original tombstones and burial markers, as well as mature trees and a network of roadways and pathways.

HERITAGE VALUE
Established in 1910, Lakeview Cemetery is valued as the City of Penticton's civic burial ground, evolving over almost a century to reflect the growth in the community, maturing of civic and community roles, and shifting social values.

The site is a testament to the perseverance of early City Councils and community groups who worked to create a public cemetery, starting with The Board of Trade, which initiated the drive for a civic cemetery as early as 1905 when the Anglican Church announced that it no longer had room for burials of citizens who were not members of its congregation. The first five acres of the site were acquired from the Southern Okanagan Land Company in 1910 by City Council.

An "artistic plan" was approved later that year, including a 30 foot entrance road and a circular avenue around the two acres of burial plots. Two years later the Council negotiated with the Kettle Valley Railway to permit it to build its right of way through the easterly portion of the cemetery. New trees were planted, paths were improved, and new roads were added. In 1916 a new survey led to the laying out of 2000 plots in three sections, including a section for "paupers". Sections were reserved for groups such as Chinese and members of the Oddfellows Lodge, although the Chinese-designated area was outside the proper boundaries of the cemetery. In 1917 schoolchildren "beautified" the cemetery under the guidance of the Civic Improvement League. The first restoration of overturned gravestones occurred in 1927.

By 1928, the cemetery was filling up and additional parcels of farmland were acquired. Over time improvements were made, such as the addition of concrete gates and the planting of poplar and spruce trees in 1928. Maintenance was an ongoing issue and, when a new section was laid out in 1945, it was planted as lawn and vertical markers were not permitted.

Lakeview Cemetery is also valued as the final resting place of many Penticton citizens and as an evocation of the history of the community. Burials included soldiers from the First and Second World Wars, in addition to prominent citizens like architect, Robert Lyon, and mayor, Dr. McGregor. Chief engineer of the Kettle Valley Railway, Andrew McCulloch, and his secretary A. A. Swift are also buried there.

The many original headstones and memorials are a physical expression of the values of past generations. They include carved monuments in granite, marble, sandstone, and concrete displaying names and dates of burials as well as an array of traditional Christian symbols. Portions of the cemetery contain markers in Chinese and Japanese, reflecting the ethnic diversity of Penticton.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Key elements that define the heritage character of this site include:
-location on the east bench of Penticton overlooking Okanagan Lake
-proximity to Naramata Road and Kettle Valley Railway
-pattern of roads, pathways, and grave plots
-mixture of gravestone designs and materials
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
775 Lower Bench Road
Penticton, BC


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.