Penticton Dredge Shed - Penticton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 30.094 W 119° 36.705
11U E 310905 N 5486493
Quick Description: Restored and preserved by the S.S. Sicamous Heritage Society, the old Dredge Shed, built in 1933, now serves the society as workshop space for restoration work done by them.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/17/2020 10:26:18 AM
Waymark Code: WM12ZYY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
At the western end of Penticton's Okanagan Lake beach are a pair of restored lake steamers, the S.S. Sicamous and the S.S. Naramata. Not far south of these is a white painted wood shed, about 20 feet by 50 feet (6 X 16 metres) in size. The shed was built in 1933 to house dredging and pile driving vessels. Primarily, they were used to keep the Okanagan River navigable between Okanagan and Skaha Lakes. As well, they were used to dredge dock sites along the lake.

The Okanagan River Channel was completed in 1953, eliminating the need for these vessels. The Dredge Shed has been taken over by the S.S. Sicamous Heritage Society and is used for restoration activities.
Dredge Shed

The Okanagan River once flowed past this building. Dredge boats would be tied up outside. These boats dredged the shoals and switchbacks of the winding Okanagan River, so that other vessels could travel safely. The Penticton River Channel was finished in 1953, and this area has been dry ever since.
From the From the S.S. Sicamous Heritage Society Plaque
Penticton Dredge Shed
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The Dredge Shed is a large timber storage building located west of Lakeshore Drive near the mouth of the Okanagan River in Penticton, British Columbia.

HERITAGE VALUE
The Dredge Shed's value lies in the role it played in the development of water transportation on the Okanagan River and Okanagan Lake. Constructed in 1933, the Dredge Shed is a 20 foot by 50 foot building which housed Dominion Coast Guard tools and equipment required to maintain navigable depths on Okanagan River between Okanagan and Skaha Lakes. The Dominion Coast Guard would build breakwaters, and dredge dock sites inundated with sediment from Penticton Creek along the Penticton waterfront for navigation purposes.

Dredging in Okanagan River had commenced in 1908 when the Dominion Government placed Joe McDonald in charge of operating a swing-boom to dredge the channel, and to place brush along the banks and drive piles to prevent erosion. Passenger and freight service between Penticton and Kaleden started in 1912 with the vessel Mallard, under the guidance of A.S. Hatfield, but navigation on the river portion between Skaha Lake and Okanagan Lake was not terribly successful, and several years later a control dam was constructed at the mouth of Okanagan River on Okanagan Lake and any attempts at commercial navigation ceased. However, dredging continued as a flood control measure, to keep water flowing in the channel and off land adjacent to the river channel. This also signaled the early stages of controlling water levels throughout the Okanagan Basin.

The Dredge Shed was situated so that vessels could be loaded from the north side and land access could be achieved on the east side. In this manner fuel, provisions, and tools were loaded onto the dredges and other vessels used by the Dominion Government on the lake and river. The double doors on the second level of the north side provided access to the shed for materials to be moved by the boom on the dredge.

The Dredge Shed is valued as an important industrial structure which served the south Okanagan from the 1930s to the 1950s. Its simple vernacular design speaks to its functionality. This is evident in its rugged construction of large timbers, broad low-pitched roof with wide overhang, cladding of wide drop siding, solid loading docks, and large loading doors.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Penticton Dredge Shed include its:
-location near Okanagan Lake and adjacent to the mouth of the Okanagan River
-industrial vernacular style of the building with its massing and simple design
-use of large timbers and wide boards
-massive roof with wide overhangs
-large loading doors
-solid wooden loading docks
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
1175 Lakeshore Drive West
Penticton, BC
V2A 1B7


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.