Penticton High School - Penticton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 29.494 W 119° 35.298
11U E 312565 N 5485323
Quick Description: Beginning with a single two storey building in 1913, Penticton High School has evolved substantially since then.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/16/2020 12:19:00 PM
Waymark Code: WM12ZTR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 2

Long Description:
The first element of Penticton High School, now known as Penticton Secondary School, was built in 1912-1913 as the Ellis School. In the years 2006 to 2008 the school was greatly expanded at a cost of cost of $38 million. At the same time the Ellis School building was incorporated into the new, larger, school at a cost of $3.1 million. The school was named in honour of immigrant Thomas Ellis, Penticton's first citizen and founder of the city.
In 1865, an Irish immigrant named Thomas Ellis became the first European to settle in Penticton. Becoming one of the province's most successful cattle ranchers, Ellis acquired territory that stretched from Naramata all the way south to the American border. When he retired in 1892, Ellis sold off a large portion of his property to developers who laid out a small townsite at the foot of Okanagan Lake. Penticton was born.
From Penticton History
The second element of Penticton High School, Shatford School, was built to the north of Ellis School in 1921 and the high school was expanded into the new building. It was named in honour of the late Senator Lytton Shatford, who had died the year previous to the opening of the Shatford School building.
Lytton Shatford - Born in Hubbards, Nova Scotia, he moved west during one of the British Columbia gold rushes where he and his brother, Walter Tyrrel Shatford, ran a general store in the gold mining town of Fairview near what is now Oliver. They also owned the Shatford Mercantile Store in Hedley which was one of the town's first permanent structures... ...Shatford was elected to the British Columbia Legislative Assembly in the 1903 provincial election as a Conservative representing the riding of Similkameen. He remained in the legislature until 1917 when he was appointed to the Senate of Canada by Prime Minister Sir Robert Borden. He died in office at Vancouver General Hospital from a stroke on November 8, 1920.
From Wiki
With the 2006-08 expansion of the school, the care and maintenance of the Shatford School building was assumed by the City of Penticton and it was repurposed as the Shatford Centre, an arts and cultural centre. The Okanagan School of the Arts moved into the building in June of 2011.

As a result of difficult economic conditions engendered by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Okanagan School of the Arts has been forced to leave the building, effective at the end of June, 2020. At present the city has no plans for the building, anticipating that it will simply be closing the doors - hopefully not for the last time.
Penticton High School
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
Penticton High School is comprised of two large brick schools located side by side on a 7 acre site facing Main Street between Jermyn Avenue and Eckhart Avenue in Penticton. The Ellis School is a 1912 high school in a neo-Georgian style with three two-storey bays on a raised basement. The 1921 Victorian-eclectic Shatford School, located to the north of Ellis School, is also a two-storey brick building on a raised basement. The schools are framed by a fieldstone wall and a row of mature maple trees, both of which date from around 1915.

HERITAGE VALUE
Penticton High School is an important evolving cultural landscape which tells the story of public education and civic development in Penticton since 1912. Its primary heritage values reside in the physical attributes of the school yard, and in the architecture of the Ellis and Shatford Schools.

Comprised of seven acres, this school campus is the foundation for the rich history and heritage of this site. Located at the prominent intersection of Main Street and Jermyn Avenue, it is recognized as the nucleus of the school system in Penticton. Historic maple trees and the unique stone perimeter wall establish an academic sense of place befitting the most important collection of institutional architecture in the city.

The multi-faceted architecture of this site is integral to Penticton's collective history because it reflects various periods of civic development. The 1912 Ellis School, designed by architects Bell and Constant, is valued for its unique neo-Georgian style, exceptionally detailed and well-proportioned design, and high-quality materials such as brick and stone. The contiguous Shatford School, designed in 1921 by architects Bell and Curtis, is valued because of its complementary Victorian eclectic features, sensitively designed to not overwhelm or clash with the Ellis School. The sympathetic 1970s link which physically connects the schools is also important to the heritage value of this site, as it reflects a significant period of growth in Penticton and the innovative manner in which it was met. Although much of the interiors of the two schools have been altered, their key physical aspects, which reflect their landmark status in the community, remain intact.

This historic place is a monument to the continuing evolution and development of local public education. A symbolic temple of learning, it represents the civic pride and optimism with which the City of Penticton has stimulated and encouraged generations of growth.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Key elements that define the heritage character of Penticton High School include:
- the crisply defined neo-Georgian architectural form of Ellis School, including its three brick bays, raised basement, Romanesque central entrance arch and arched windows above
- the high quality of brick craftsmanship on Ellis School, including the corbelled entrance arch
- the complementary Victorian eclectic design of the Shatford School
- the roof-top cupola on the Ellis School and the roof-top lantern on the Shatford School
- the sympathetic 1970s link which connects the two buildings
- the hipped roofs and deeply articulated dentil courses on both schools
- the fieldstone wall and maple trees which create a sense of place by enclosing the two schools and establishing their pre-eminence on Main Street
- the continuity of public use since 1912
- the association with the prominent architectural firms of Bell and Constant (Ellis School) and Bell and Curtis (Shatford School)
- the association with a period of economic confidence in Penticton
-the assembly hall designed to seat 500 in the Ellis School
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
ELLIS SCHOOL - 1913
Photo goes Here
SHATFORD SCHOOL - 1921
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
158 Main Street
Penticton, BC
V2A 5A4


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.