Collégiale Saint-Pierre - Gerberoy, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 32.041 E 001° 50.948
31U E 416727 N 5487458
Quick Description: [EN] The Collegiate Church of Saint-Pierre is a Catholic parish church started in the 11th century and completed in the 15th century. [FR] La collégiale Saint-Pierre est une église paroissiale catholique commencée au XIe siècle et terminée au XVe siècle.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 8/9/2020 6:02:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM12YT2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:

"The history of the former collegiate church of Saint-Pierre de Gerberoy is closely linked to that of the town, a fortified place located on the border between Île-de-France and Normandy. In the 11th century, the vidame of Gerberoy established eleven canons' posts and built the collegiate church, which was destroyed by fire when the town was captured by the English of the Earl of Huntlingdon in 1419.

Gerberoy changed hands several times in the 15th century, and was not resumed definitively until 1449. From then on the reconstruction of the Saint-Pierre collegiate church began: the paneled nave was completed in 1451, the choir around 1460, when it was furnished with stalls which can still be seen there. It ends with a flat apse and is vaulted on a cross rib. The bell tower, which adjoins it to the north, was built a few years later.

The church, which has been listed in the supplementary inventory of historic monuments since 1984, contains significant furniture. In addition to the 15th century stalls, three beautiful Aubusson tapestries from the 17th century. are classified, as well as a Louis XV style candle holder. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"L’histoire de l’ancienne église collégiale Saint-Pierre de Gerberoy est étroitement liée à celle de la ville, place fortifiée située à la frontière entre l’Île-de-France et la Normandie. Au XIe s., le vidame de Gerberoy créa onze postes de chanoines et fit construire la collégiale. Ce premier édifice disparut dans un incendie lors de la prise de la ville par les Anglais du comte de Huntlingdon en 1419.

Gerberoy changea de main à plusieurs reprises au XVe s., et ne fut reprise définitivement qu’en 1449. Dès lors commença la reconstruction de la collégiale Saint-Pierre : la nef lambrissée fut achevée en 1451, le chœur vers 1460, date à laquelle il fut garni des stalles que l’on peut encore y voir. Il se termine par un chevet plat et est voûté sur croisée d’ogives. Le clocher, qui le jouxte au nord, fut construit quelques années plus tard.

L’église, qui est inscrite à l’inventaire supplémentaire des Monuments historiques depuis 1984, contient un mobilier important. Outre les stalles du XVe s., trois belles tapisseries d’Aubusson du XVIIe s. sont classées, ainsi qu’un pique-cierge de style Louis XV."

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Collégiale Saint-Pierre - Gerberoy, France 8/7/2020 pmaupin visited it