St Albans Cathedral - St Albans, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 45.049 W 000° 20.607
30U E 683369 N 5736663
Quick Description: The current St Albans Cathedral, alternatively known as the Abbey Church of St Alban, dates from Norman times. With a length of 85 metres it has the longest nave of any English cathedral.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/7/2020 10:42:52 AM
Waymark Code: WM12YGF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Long Description:

Wikipedia has an article about the cathedral that tells us:

St Albans Cathedral, officially the Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban but often referred to locally as "the Abbey", is a Church of England cathedral in St Albans, England. Much of its architecture dates from Norman times. It ceased to be an abbey following its dissolution in the 16th century and became a cathedral in 1877. Although legally a cathedral church, it differs in certain particulars from most other cathedrals in England: it is also used as a parish church, of which the dean is rector with the same powers, responsibilities and duties as that of any other parish. At 85 metres long, it has the longest nave of any cathedral in England.

Probably founded in the 8th century, the present building is Norman or Romanesque architecture of the 11th century, with Gothic and 19th-century additions.

The cathedral is a Grade I listed building with the entry at the Historic England website advising:

Original Norman church of 1077-1088 of which remains North wall of nave, transepts and crossing tower, although end windows of transepts were altered by Lord Grimthorpe in 1890's. Walls are of flint and Roman brick, the tower almost entirely of Roman brick. There is C12 intersecting blank arcading and a door in the slype.

Early English the 3 West bays of North side of nave. Tripartite shafts show that vaulting was planned, but actual vaulting is C19. Later C13 chancel arcade and blank arcading of walls, also retrochoir.

Decorated Lady Chapel with C19 vault. South side of nave rebuilt after 1323, and aisle vaulted. Some doorways and windows of later C14. Much alteration, including complete rebuilding of West end and many windows by Lord Grimthorpe in 1890's.

Much plastering remains inside from Norman church, with wall paintings both decorative and figurative. Shrine of St Alban (1320, reconstructed) and C14 late guard box the most notable of many monuments inside.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.