Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church-(KC-94)-Dover, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Markerman62
N 39° 09.355 W 075° 31.583
18S E 454519 N 4334211
Quick Description: Located on South Governor's Avenue south of West North Street, Dover
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 7/30/2020 11:13:07 PM
Waymark Code: WM12X8P
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member johmer79
Views: 2

Long Description:
A Presbyterian Society, present in Kent from c1694, was organized and worshipped in a log church on this site from c1708 until 1791. The Presbytery of Philadelphia recognized its congregation in 1714. The present church was built in 1791 and served its congregation until 1924 when a new church was dedicated at State and Reed Street. The Chapel was added in 1880. Among the burials are Col. John Haslet, Commander of the Delaware Regiment, who was killed during the Battle of Princeton in 1777; John M. Clayton (1796-1856), U. S. Secretary of State; and Governors Jacob Stout (c1767-1857), Charles Polk (1788-1857) and J. Caleb Boggs (1909-1993). The 2nd State Constitutional Convention (1791-1792) chaired by John Dickinson, and the 3rd State Constitutional Convention in 1832 were held here. The church and chapel became part of the Delaware State Museum in 1949. The Cemetery is the property of the Presbyterian Church of Dover. The property was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Delaware Public Archives 2005
Visit Instructions:
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Delaware Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.