Coleman Legion - Coleman, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 38.043 W 114° 30.058
11U E 680444 N 5500943
Quick Description: Though this building was first built as a commercial building in 1923, it was bought by the Coleman Legion in 1939 and extended, essentially doubling it in size, in 1986.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 7/27/2020 3:26:34 PM
Waymark Code: WM12WR6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
This was Alberta's FIRST Legion, chartered on October 6, 1926.

If you're wondering why the first Legion in Alberta should be Branch Number Nine (see photo in the gallery), there is a very good reason for this. When chartered, on October 6, 1926, the branch was offered the number ONE, but declined it in favour of NINE to honour the nine charter members.

To the east of the building is a memorial park which contains the Coleman Legion Cenotaph.

Coleman Legion
HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE
The Coleman Legion was first formed as a British Empire Service League branch in October 1926. With the unification of Canadian veteran organization into the Royal Canadian Legion later that year, the branch was chartered as a member of the legion. It is claimed to be the first charter branch of the legion set up in Alberta and the North West Territories, although, it retains its branch number of nine in honour of the nine men who had set up the branch.

During the last three years of World War One, there were few management/miner difficulties. Increased demand for coal and a shortage caused by the war meant good wages for the miners of the Crowsnest Pass. Most of the recruits from the Crowsnest Pass were committed British, French or Belgian volunteers. The East Europeans were often unsure of their status, uncertain whether they were allies or enemies. This circumstance helps to explain why the names of all nine men who founded the legion in Coleman are very British.

The legion in Coleman did not have its own hall during the interwar years; instead they used the Oddfellows' hall for much of this period. In 1936, they asked the town for permission to build a hall, which was granted on the condition that the groups owning the surrounding lots were also willing to allow them to build. The hall was not built. In 1942, the legion bought this warehouse and converted it into a hall. The membership of the legion has swelled and diminished a number of times over the years, depending on the vitality of the mining industry.
From the Alberta Register of Historic Places
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
7831 17 Avenue
Coleman AB
T0K 0M0


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
T0SHEA visited Coleman Legion - Coleman, AB 10/17/2020 T0SHEA visited it