The Old Bridge - Lillooet, British Columbia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
N 50° 42.690 W 121° 54.677
10U E 576866 N 5618308
Quick Description: The Lillooet Suspension Bridge, also known as the Lillooet Old Bridge, is located in Lillooet, British Columbia. Accessible via Davis Road and Old Bridge Road, the bridge is closed to motorized traffic, but is opened to pedestrians and cyclists .
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 7/16/2020 1:49:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM12V1X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 2

Long Description:
Inscription is from an information panel on site:

The Old Bridge
Built in 1913

Since the construction of the 'Bridge of
the 23 Camels' in 1981, this old span is
known as "The Old Bridge" to people in
this community.

The middle of this wooden suspension bridge is supported by steel
steel cables and has "dead men" embedded in the rock banks of the
Fraser River.

In 1913, this bridge replaced a truss bridge
which replaced a winch ferry that was
powered by the river current and was in use from 1860-1888.

The Old Bridge was refurbished by the District of Lillooet and the Ministry of
Transportation in 2004.

"The Lillooet Suspension Bridge, also known as the Lillooet Old Bridge, is a suspension bridge located in Lillooet, British Columbia. The bridge passes over the Fraser River and connects the town of Lillooet with British Columbia Highway 99.

The Lillooet Suspension Bridge was constructed in 1913, replacing a truss bridge that was completed in 1889, which itself replaced a reaction-cable ferry that had been operating between 1860 and 1888. The suspension bridge carried one lane of vehicle traffic until the completion of the Bridge of the Twenty-Three Camels in 1981. When the new highway bridge opened, the much older suspension bridge was called "The Old Bridge" by locals.

In 2003, the District of Lillooet and the British Columbia Ministry of Transportation restored the bridge as a pedestrian-only crossing. The Lillooet Naturalist Society also advocated for the installation of bird houses on the structure as a part of the restoration project".

Reference: (visit link)
Date Completed: 1/1/1913

Usage: Bicycle

Length: 161 metres (528 feet)

WWW: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Log your find with the picture of the bridge that you like. No gpsr required in the photo...different seasons and lighting for the pictures is what will be the goal.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Suspension Bridges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.