Monument 142 - Ferry County, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 00.005 W 118° 46.620
11U E 370028 N 5428986
Quick Description: On the border south of Midway, BC, this is a nonstandard stainless steel border monument on the 49th parallel.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 7/6/2020 4:05:33 PM
Waymark Code: WM12RB4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ripraff
Views: 0

Long Description:
Set in the north side of the concrete base is Benchmark 25C425J, which was monumented in 1925, meaning that Monument 142 must also have been monumented in 1925. However, Monument 142A, which is of identical style, stands on a base dated "1985". Both of these are quite different from the standard Aluminum-Bronze monuments which were placed in the 1904-1907 era, most of which remain. It is noted on the NOAA Datasheet that the original Aluminum-Bronze monument was painted in 1958. Given that no other dates appear on the monument or the base, we must assume that Monument 142 was replaced with this stainless steel monument in 1985, at the same time as Monument 142A.

Monument 142 is situated almost directly south of the Florence Street Bridge. Leading south off the end of Florence Street is a 4WD trail which leads uphill essentially to Monument 142, turning around just 100 feet or so north of it.

DESIGNATION -  MONUMENT 142
PID         -  TP1301
STATE/COUNTY-  WA/FERRY
COUNTRY     -  US
USGS QUAD   -  TORODA OE N (2017)
 
DESCRIBED BY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY COMMISSION 1905 (JJM)
THE MONUMENT IS AN ALUMINUM - BRONZE SHAFT SET IN A 3 FOOT SQUARE
CONCRETE BASE AND PROJECTS 4-1/2 FEET ABOVE THE BASE.  ---CANADA---
IS CAST ON THE NORTH FACE OF THE SHAFT,---UNITED STATES---ON THE
SOUTH FACE, AND---TREATY OF 1846, LINE ESTABLISHED 1857-1907---ON THE
EAST FACE.  ON THE WEST FACE IS A PLATE BEARING THE NUMBER OF THE
MONUMENT.

                        STATION RECOVERY (1958)

RECOVERY NOTE BY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY COMMISSION 1958
STATION PAINTED.
From NOAA

The International Boundary Line between the United States of America and the Dominion of Canada was adopted under article II of the Convention of London of 1818, under article II of the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842, and under article I of the treaty of 1846, and was modified by articles I and II of the treaty of 1925. The boundary begins at the eastern shore of Georgia Strait and follows the original astronomic determination of the parallel of 49° of north latitude to a point in Lake of the Woods. The International Boundary from the Gulf of Georgia (Georgia Strait) to the Northwesternmost Point of Lake of the Woods is marked by 959 monuments set on the boundary line. The part of the line which follows the astronomic determination of the forty-ninth parallel is commonly called the 49th parallel land boundary. It is 1270.2 miles in length.

The boundary was originally surveyed and marked between 1857 and 1861. In lesser populated areas it was sparsely monumented, so by 1898 questions as to the adequacy of the then present markings of this boundary began to arise. A complete remapping and monumenting of the boundary lying west of the Rocky Mountains took place from 1903 to 1907. From the Pacific Ocean to the summit of the Rocky Mountains there are 272 monuments.

East of the summit of the Rocky Mountains remapping and monumenting took place between 1908 and 1914. The monuments from the summit to Lake of the Woods total 641. Finally, the treaty of 1908 was adopted, providing for the more complete definition and demarcation of the International Boundary between the United States and Canada from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.

West of the summit of the Rocky Mountains the boundary line is marked by aluminum-bronze monuments, set in concrete bases, the distance between monuments not exceeding 3 miles, save in very exceptional cases where 4 miles should not be exceeded. The same protocol applies east of the summit of the Rocky Mountains to the North Fork of the Milk River. From there east to Lake of the Woods one-piece hollow cast-iron monuments, filled with concrete, identical in form with those set in 1872-1875, mark the boundary at distances apart not exceeding 2 miles except in a few exceptional cases, where 2¼ miles should not be exceeded.
Paraphrased from the International Boundary Commission Report - 1937
Photo goes Here
Monumentation Type: Metal post

Monument Category: National boundary marker

Accessible to general public: yes

Historical significance:
The original monument on this site was set in the 1904 - 1909 era. This stainless steel replacement was likely accomplished in 1985, the year the present Monument 142 was monumented at Midway.


Monument Website: [Web Link]

County: FERRY

USGS Quad: TORODA OE N

NGS PID: TP1301

Approximate date of monument: 1/1/1985

Monumentation Type (if other): Not listed

Monument Category (if other): Not listed

Explain Non-Public access: Not listed

Other Coordinates: Not Listed

Other Coordinates details: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1. A closeup photo of the monument is required.
______
2. A 'distant' photo including the monument in the view is highly recommended. Include the compass direction you faced when you took the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. Historic Survey Stones and Monuments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.