Monument 116D - Okanogan County, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 00.004 W 119° 27.701
11U E 319954 N 5430383
Quick Description: Monument 116D will be found on the east side of the roadway leading into Canada at the Osoyoos Canada - U.S. border crossing.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 7/6/2020 3:46:50 PM
Waymark Code: WM12RB3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ripraff
Views: 0

Long Description:
Monument 116D is situated on the east side of the newer roadway to the east of the Canada Border Inspection Station. Its partner, 116C, stands opposite it, on the west side of the road. Originally there were two border monuments at this border crossing, Monuments 116A & 116B. They were a special type of monument (see description below), installed in pairs between 1928 and 1937 on each side of major border crossings.

With expansion of border crossing facilities several years ago the roads were realigned, necessitating that Monuments 116A & 116B be moved and placed on new bases in 2008. Meanwhile, Monuments 116C & 116D were added at a new roadway to the east in 2005.

None of the four monuments at this crossing are included in the NOAA National Geodetic Survey website.

This type of monument is an ornamental concrete obelisk set in a plain concrete base. The surface of the obelisk or shaft is finished in light-colored granular quartz aggregate, washed free of cement so that the color and texture of the coarse granular aggregate shows clean. The shaft is 6 feet 6 inches in length and projects 5 to 5½ feet above the base. The inscriptions on the shaft of the monument are cast in black aggregate flush with the surface. They read vertically upward and are as follows: On the side facing the highway "INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY", on the side away from the highway "TREATY OF 1925", on the north side "CANADA", on the south side "UNITED STATES."
From the International Boundary Commission Report - 1937, Pages 120-23
The International Boundary Line between the United States of America and the Dominion of Canada was adopted under article II of the Convention of London of 1818, under article II of the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842, and under article I of the treaty of 1846, and was modified by articles I and II of the treaty of 1925. The boundary begins at the eastern shore of Georgia Strait and follows the original astronomic determination of the parallel of 49° of north latitude to a point in Lake of the Woods. The International Boundary from the Gulf of Georgia (Georgia Strait) to the Northwesternmost Point of Lake of the Woods is marked by 959 monuments set on the boundary line. The part of the line which follows the astronomic determination of the forty-ninth parallel is commonly called the 49th parallel land boundary. It is 1270.2 miles in length.

The boundary was originally surveyed and marked between 1857 and 1861. In lesser populated areas it was sparsely monumented, so by 1898 questions as to the adequacy of the then present markings of this boundary began to arise. A complete remapping and monumenting of the boundary lying west of the Rocky Mountains took place from 1903 to 1907. From the Pacific Ocean to the summit of the Rocky Mountains there are 272 monuments.

East of the summit of the Rocky Mountains remapping and monumenting took place between 1908 and 1914. The monuments from the summit to Lake of the Woods total 641. Finally, the treaty of 1908 was adopted, providing for the more complete definition and demarcation of the International Boundary between the United States and Canada from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.

West of the summit of the Rocky Mountains the boundary line is marked by aluminum-bronze monuments, set in concrete bases, the distance between monuments not exceeding 3 miles, save in very exceptional cases where 4 miles should not be exceeded. The same protocol applies east of the summit of the Rocky Mountains to the North Fork of the Milk River. From there east to Lake of the Woods one-piece hollow cast-iron monuments, filled with concrete, identical in form with those set in 1872-1875, mark the boundary at distances apart not exceeding 2 miles except in a few exceptional cases, where 2¼ miles should not be exceeded.
Paraphrased from the International Boundary Commission Report - 1937
Photo goes Here
Monumentation Type: Concrete post

Monument Category: National boundary marker

Accessible to general public: yes

Historical significance:
While 116A & 116B were initially monumented circa 1928, Monuments 116C & 116D were added at a new roadway to the east in 2005.


Monument Website: [Web Link]

County: Okanogan

USGS Quad: OROVILLE OE N

Approximate date of monument: 1/1/2005

Monumentation Type (if other): Not listed

Monument Category (if other): Not listed

Explain Non-Public access: Not listed

NGS PID: Not listed

Other Coordinates: Not Listed

Other Coordinates details: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1. A closeup photo of the monument is required.
______
2. A 'distant' photo including the monument in the view is highly recommended. Include the compass direction you faced when you took the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. Historic Survey Stones and Monuments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.