Old Log Church and Rectory - Whitehorse, Yukon Territory
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
N 60° 43.102 W 135° 03.248
8V E 497046 N 6731419
Quick Description: The Old Log Church and Rectory were built in 1900 and 1901 respectively and are among the oldest structures still standing in Whitehorse. The first service in the new church was held on October 7, 1900.
Location: Yukon Territory, Canada
Date Posted: 6/26/2020 8:37:05 AM
Waymark Code: WM12PF8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 4

Long Description:
The Old Log Church and Rectory were built in 1900 and 1901 respectively and are among the oldest structures still standing in Whitehorse. Landmarks in the community, they are designated for their historical, architectural, cultural and social values.

Bishop William Carpenter Bompas called on Rev. R.J. Bowen to travel to Whitehorse, an emerging community, to provide a place of worship to the people there. Having already constructed small log churches at Forty Mile and Dawson City, Bowen designed and had the Church built in just two months. The first service was held on October 7, 1900. The Rectory was completed by spring of 1901.

The Church uses simple half lap log construction. Subsequent additions show the growth and development of the Old Log Church through improved craftsmanship and the incorporation of traditional church design features such as the sanctuary, vestry and baptistery.

The construction of the Rectory exhibits a higher level of craftsmanship and design in the one and a half storey, dovetail log building with a piece- en-piece addition. The Rectory has been used almost continuously as a residence for clergy since its construction. The addition of a small school on the west end in 1904 and the addition of meeting space shows the evolution of use of the Rectory over the years.

The Church served as a centre of worship and as a social gathering place for locals, visiting dignitaries and royalty. During the construction of the Alaska Highway the church was a haven for army personnel stationed in Whitehorse who soon made up half the congregation. It served as the Cathedral for Yukon for seven years under Bishop Greenwood before the new Cathedral was built on the adjacent lot in 1960. By 1962, the Old Log Church was reopened as a museum. In the 1980s, as well as being a museum it was also known as St Simon’s Church, with a primarily First Nation congregation. Today, historical services are still held during the summer months.

In 1978, the Old Log Church was commemorated as a historic site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Yukon.

Reference: (visit link)

Personal Observations:

While the Old Log Church has now been turned into a museum, its wooden structure stood the test of time as is evidenced by its presence on this site today. The building methods employed ensured the comfort of worshippers who welcomed the opportunity to connect with their neighbours and reflect on their achievements and good fortune.
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
303 Elliott Street, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.