St. Luke's Anglican Church - Red Deer, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 52° 16.359 W 113° 48.827
12U E 308027 N 5795093
Quick Description: Red Deer's oldest standing church, St. Luke's Anglican has been designated both a municipal and a provincial historic resource, the former in 2009 and the latter in 1977.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 6/25/2020 4:13:16 PM
Waymark Code: WM12PAD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 3

Long Description:
Anglican missionaries began holding services at Red Deer as early as 1887 without a church building they could call their own. In 1893 the parish of St. Luke's was established, still without a real home. Finally, in 1898, land was donated to the Anglicans and the construction of an Anglican church got underway. The design for the building was the work of trained architect Rev. Joshua Hinchcliffe, rector of the parish from 1898 to 1907, in concert with prominent Edmonton architects, Edmiston and Johnson.

While the foundation for the church was laid in 1898, the church that was begun upon it was a wood framed building. In 1899, the parish’s new minister, Joshua Hinchliffe, proposed that the still incomplete building be abandoned and a substantial sandstone church be constructed in its place. The powers that be apparently agreed, construction on the Gothic Revival sandstone building we see today beginning forthwith. In 1900, the chancel, sanctuary and a small nave had been completed, with the nave being extended in 1904 and again in 1906. Also in 1906 a choir vestry and the present tower were added, bringing construction to an end.

Text from an Alberta Historical Marker at the church follows:

St. Luke's Anglican Church

Built in stages between 1899 and 1906, St. Luke's Anglican Church is Red Deer's oldest standing church. Its Gothic Revival design was prepared by Edmonton architects Edminston and Johnson. The Rector, Canon Joshua Hinchliffe, an architect and stone mason, devoted himself to completing the church. He assisted in drawing the plans and in constructing the building, and he was committed to making the church a vital part of the community.

Constructed from grey sandstone excavated from the local Reinholt Quarry, the church stands as an enduring reminder of the contributions of both Canon Hinchliffe and his early parishioners to the development of thiS important religious institution.

St. Luke's Anglican Church was designated a Registered Historic Resource by the Government of Alberta in 1977, and in 2009 it was designated as a Municipal Historic Resource.
THE CITY OF Red Deer
St. Luke's Anglican Church
Description of Historic Place
St. Luke’s Anglican Church was constructed in stages between 1899 and 1906. It is a sandstone church building with steeply-pitched gable roofs. A square, two-storey tower with battlements is situated at the northwest corner, a chancel and vestry project from the east elevation, and a choir vestry projects from the south elevation. The church features numerous Gothic-arched doorways, windows and louvred tower openings. A Celtic cross surmounts the west gable end and a Latin cross surmounts the south gable end. A sandstone retaining wall partially encloses the building on the north and west sides. The church occupies three lots on a block of commercial buildings and is situated at the corner of Gaetz Avenue and 54 Street in downtown Red Deer.

Heritage Value
St. Luke’s Anglican Church is significant for its Gothic Revival architectural style and association with Rev. Joshua Hinchcliffe and Rev. William H. Fanning-Harris.

St. Luke’s Anglican Church, the oldest active church building in Red Deer, is an architectural landmark exemplifying the Gothic Revival style highlighted by a battlement tower and high pitched gable roofs. Locally-quarried, rusticated local sandstone was used in the construction and it is one of the few buildings in the Red Deer region made of this stone.

The church was constructed by the first Anglican parishioners, over an eight year period, under the direction of Rev. Joshua Hinchcliffe. The foundation was laid in 1898, the first section was completed in 1899, a second section in 1900 and an addition of a choir vestry and battlemented tower to the west end during 1905-1906. The latter addition was designed by local architect C.A. Julian-Sharman.

The association of the church with the Rev. Joshua Hinchcliffe is significant. As an architect, appointed rector of St. Luke's parish in 1898, Hinchcliffe played an instrumental role in the planning and design of the church in conjunction with a prominent firm of Edmonton architects Edmiston and Johnson. Prior to that, Hinchcliffe had worked extensively on the Blackfoot and Peigan reserves. He established St. Luke's as a vital part of the growing community. He was a military chaplain during World War I, and later a member of the British Columbia Legislature. He was admitted to the bar in 1932.

St. Luke’s Anglican Church is also historically significant for its association with Rev. Webster Henry Fanning-Harris, a former rector who was the first Canadian chaplain killed in World War I, and to whom the church’s 1920 central stained glass window is dedicated.
From the Alberta Register of Historic Places
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
4929 - 54 Street
Red Deer, AB
T4N 2G7


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
T0SHEA visited St. Luke's Anglican Church - Red Deer, AB 9/25/2020 T0SHEA visited it