St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church - Lacombe, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 52° 27.887 W 113° 44.113
12U E 314194 N 5816252
Quick Description: Built by the Presbyterians in 1908-09, St. Andrew's was dedicated on January 31, 1909.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 6/25/2020 11:05:20 AM
Waymark Code: WM12P92
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 3

Long Description:
Since 1925, with Church Union in Canada, this brick building has served as a United Church. As built, the church cost $12,315.93 in 1909 dollars. In 1920 the church built a manse, which was several blocks away, It followed the church in 1925, becoming the United Church manse.

The second building to serve the Presbyterians of Lacombe, the first was a wood frame building erected in 1902. While vintage photos show that the exterior has been changed by the addition of a transept and the addition of a narthex to the side of the bell tower/steeple, the basic plan of the church remains unaltered. The brick corner tower stands beside a gable roof and ends in a hipped roof, into which is set an octagonal belfry. Originally open on all sides, the rectangular openings have since been filled with slatted vent covers with Roman arched tops, now hiding the large bell which was once quite visible. Atop the belfry is a very tall, slim octagonal spire with a finial and ball at its upper end.
ST. ANDREW’S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Description of Historic Place
St. Andrew's United Church is a large red brick church with Gothic Revival-style inspired architecture situated at the corner of 53 Street and 51 Avenue in Lacombe. The building is identifiable by its steeply pitched front-gabled roof, pointed Gothic-pointed-arch windows, and large corner belfry.

Heritage Value
St. Andrew's United Church, built 1908-09, is significant as a community institution that has served the spiritual needs of the Lacombe community for over a century. Lacombe's Presbyterian congregation was founded in November 1892, with the first church constructed in 1895 by Robert McNaughton. As Lacombe's population grew with the emigration of Presbyterians from Scotland and Ireland, so too did this congregation, necessitating a larger place of worship. With funds raised by the church's women's group, construction of a new church began in 1908 and it was dedicated on january 31, 1909, opening as St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. In 1922 the town's Methodist and Presbyterian congregations voted to join forces, thereafter becoming St. Andrew's United Church. The church continues to serve the religious needs of the community today.

St. Andrew's United Church has additional significance as a key example of the high quality of Lacombe's architecture,which displays Gothic Revival-style references. Built at a cost of $12,315.93, it was constructed by local builder G.P. Vickers. The Gothic Revival style was one of the most favoured architectural expressions for religious structures in Alberta. Clad in red brick, this historic landmark features elegant Gothic pointed-arch windows, a steeply pitched front gabled roof and a corner belfry. Later additions provide evidence of the church's evolution over time, including modifications to the corner entry and additions at the rear and side elevations. Although changes have occurred, the building remains an important historic landmark in Lacombe.

Character-Defining Elements
Key elements that define the heritage character of St. Andrew's United Church include its:
- prominent corner location at 51 Avenue and 53 Street in Lacombe;
- ecclesiastical form, scale, and massing as expressed by its two-storey height, plus basement;
rectangular plan with basement; steeply-pitched front gabled roof; corner belfry topped with quadrilateral shaped steeple with pyramidal roof;
-masonry construction with red-pressed brick with red mortar and concrete foundation;
- lighting rod with decorative bulb, located on the steeple;

- Gothic Revival Details such as:
- steeply-pitched roof;
- Gothic pointed-arch windows; and
- open belfry in the steeple;

- additional decorative features such as shingle patterning and half-timbering in the gable ends; brick string courses; and horizontal brick patterning above windows;
- original windows including: Gothic pointed-arch wooden frame windows with diamond-leaded panes in single and triple assembly; 2-over-2 single-hung windows; later additions of stained and patterned glass windows; and
- interior features such as wooden trim.
From the Alberta Register of Historic Places
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
5226 - 51 Avenue
Lacombe, AB
T4L 1J6


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
T0SHEA visited St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church - Lacombe, AB 9/23/2020 T0SHEA visited it