Notre-Dame-en-Saint-Melaine - Rennes, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 06.883 W 001° 40.300
30U E 598866 N 5329903
Quick Description: [EN] Notre-Dame-en-Saint-Melaine presents itself today as a composite building of Romanesque and Gothic style, behind a classic and neoclassical bell tower. [FR] Notre-Dame-en-Saint-Melaine se présente aujourd'hui comme un édifice composite de style roman et gothique, derrière une tour-clocher classique et néoclassique.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 6/25/2020 8:30:21 AM
Waymark Code: WM12P7M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

"The primitive abbey church was built on the tomb of Saint Melaine, bishop of Rennes at the end of the 5th century and beginning of the 6th. Gervais, abbot of Saint-Melaine led the construction of the Romanesque church (1081-1109) , some parts of which remain: the transept and bases of the bell tower.

In the first half of the 13th century, the transept square was covered with a ribbed vault, the departure of which is still visible. The church was altered in the 14th, 15th, 16th and 19th centuries. In the 14th century, the windows of the nave and the choir were redesigned in broken arches, according to the taste of the Gothic period, and large mullioned windows were drilled in the transept and at the apse. From this period dates the fresco of the southern transept, rediscovered and restored, representing the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist.

In 1432, the bell tower was rebuilt on Roman bases. In the southern cross, a mural painting representing the baptism of Christ dates from the 15th century. The interior vessel of this Latin cross-shaped church creates a stripped-down, harmonious atmosphere that catches the eye at the entrance. The two transept crosses have been preserved from this period, the imposing architectural solid of the transept square with its arch of glory and the semicircular entrance portal, under the tower.

In 1676 the facade of the bell tower was redone in limestone carved by the workshop of Corbineau, famous sculptor of Laval retables, who also produced in 1683 a new cloister. The tower precedes a nave with a right chevet, flanked by two collaterals and a transept.

In the 17th century, Jean d'Estrade, of the congregation of Saint Maure, who became abbot of Saint-Melaine, endowed the church with a classical style facade with two orders of colonnades superimposed and, in 1672, rebuilt the cloister which still retains eight very beautiful arcades. The pillars are decorated with large angels, caryatids. The vault of the cloister has sharp edges. At the corners, the vaults are replaced by ceilings decorated with white stone bas-reliefs. He completed his work by building the abbey home that can be seen in Saint Melaine Square, northwest of the church, which housed the law school. Around these buildings was the monks' garden which received the name of "Thabor", evoking a mount of Palestine where the tradition locates the transfiguration of Jesus.

In the 19th century, due to the reconstruction of Saint-Pierre Cathedral, the Saint-Melaine abbey church was cathedral until 1844. In 1844, Saint-Melaine became a parish church under the name of "Notre-Dame-en -Saint-Melaine "as his parish priest, Meslé wanted, who built in 1855 the part of the tower and the colossal statue of Mary, in gilded lead, 6.30m high which overlooks the city. The abbey dwelling remained bishopric then archbishopric until the separation of the Church and the State in 1905. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" L'église abbatiale primitive avait été construite sur la tombe de saint Melaine, évêque de Rennes à la fin du 5e siècle et début du 6e. Gervais, abbé de Saint-Melaine mena la construction de l'église romane (1081-1109), dont certaines parties subsistent: le transept et des bases de la tour du clocher.

Dans la première moitié du 13e siècle, le carré du transept fut recouvert d'une voûte d'ogives dont le départ est encore visible. L'église a été remaniée aux 14e, 15e, 16e et 19e siècles. Au 14e siècle les fenêtres de la nef et du chœur sont redessinées en arcs brisés, selon le goût de l’époque gothique et de grandes fenêtres à meneaux sont percées dans le transept et au chevet. De cette époque date la fresque du transept sud, redécouverte et restaurée, représentant le baptême de Jésus par Jean-Baptiste.

En 1432, la tour du clocher est reconstruite sur les bases romanes. Dans le croisillon sud, une peinture murale représentant le baptême du Christ date du 15e siècle. Le vaisseau intérieur de cette église en forme de croix latine rend une atmosphère dépouillée et harmonieuse qui saisit dès l’entrée. De cette période, ont été conservés les deux croisillons du transept, l’imposant massif architectural du carré du transept avec son arc de gloire et le portail d’entrée en plein cintre, sous la tour.

En 1676 la façade du clocher est refaite en calcaire sculpté par l'atelier de Corbineau, célèbre sculpteur de retables lavallois, qui réalisa aussi en 1683 un nouveau cloître. La tour précède une nef à chevet droit, flanquée de deux collatéraux et d'un transept.

Au 17e siècle, Jean d’Estrade, de la congrégation de Saint Maure, devenu abbé de Saint-Melaine dota l’église d’une façade de style classique avec deux ordres de colonnades superposées et, en 1672, reconstruisit le cloître qui conserve encore huit très belles arcades. Les piliers sont ornés de grands anges, cariatides. La voûte du cloître a des arrêtes vives. Aux angles, les voûtes sont remplacées par des plafonds ornés de bas-reliefs en pierre blanche. Il compléta son œuvre en construisant le logis abbatial que l'on peut voir sur la place Saint Melaine, au nord-ouest de l’église, qui logea la faculté de droit. Autour de ces bâtiments était le jardin des moines qui reçut le nom de « Thabor », évoquant un mont de Palestine où la tradition situe la transfiguration de Jésus.

Au 19e siècle, en raison des travaux de reconstruction de la Cathédrale Saint-Pierre, l’église abbatiale Saint-Melaine fut cathédrale jusqu’en 1844. En 1844, Saint-Melaine devint église paroissiale sous le vocable de "Notre-Dame-en-Saint-Melaine" comme le souhaitait son curé, Meslé, qui fit construire en 1855 la partie de la tour et la colossale statue de Marie, en plomb doré, haute de 6,30m qui domine la ville. Le logis abbatial resta évêché puis archevêché jusqu’à la séparation de l’Église et de l’État en 1905. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Notre-Dame-en-Saint-Melaine - Rennes, France 6/22/2020 pmaupin visited it