M & J Hardware - Lacombe, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 52° 27.789 W 113° 43.787
12U E 314557 N 5816057
Quick Description: Home to Lacombe's longest running family business, this was the second building to be occupied by the M & J partnership.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 6/24/2020 2:44:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM12P31
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 2

Long Description:
The M & J comes from the names of the original partners in the enterprise, Norman Morrison and James Johnston, who purchased the General Store in 1901 and opened a hardware business there. Quickly outgrowing that building, they had this building constructed in 1906. Here, M & J Hardware continued in business until 1975, making it Lacombe's longest running family business.

The original building on this site, a wood frame building erected in 1894, was moved off the site, becoming Lacombe's first hospital.

While the hardware business is long gone (the local Home Hardware outlet is now two doors to the west) several businesses have taken over portions of the building, including a video arcade, an Italian bakery and cafe and a denture clinic. On the west side of the brick building is a reproduction of M & J Hardware's old painted sign, advertising the Hardware & Tin Shop, with implements, furniture, even Ford cars, in their inventory.
M & J HARDWARE
Description of Historic Place
The M & J Hardware Building is a two-storey building situated on portions of two lots in the Town of Lacombe's downtown core. The brick structure embodies an eclectic architectural design strongly influenced by Classical Revival ideas and features a dominant upper cornice, prominent pediment sign, decorative urns and gently sloping window arches with keystones.

Heritage Value
The primary heritage value of the M & J Hardware Building lies in its eclectic architectural style, typical of small-town Alberta's "main street" commercial buildings of the first quarter of the twentieth century. Secondary heritage value lies in its association with the early commercial development of the Town of Lacombe.

Built in 1906, the M & J Hardware Building is a fine example of the architecturally eclectic commercial buildings erected throughout small communities in Alberta in the early twentieth century. Marrying utilitarian considerations with Edwardian Classical Revival stylistic elements, these structures typically featured readily available materials simply massed in an elegant, though not ostentatious, classical composition. Much of the exterior of the M & J Hardware Building is composed of locally-made brick and sandstone. These materials are artfully arranged in a series of decorative classical features, including pilasters and segmental-arch windows with keystones. These elements are complemented by dominant cornices, a prominent pediment, and ornamental urns crowning the pilasters. The union of strong materials, solid massing, and elegant detailing projects an air of permanence, simplicity, and balance - qualities deemed vital for commercial endeavours in early Alberta. The M & J Hardware Building has undergone extensive conservation work and is now an integral part of Lacombe's historic downtown streetscape.

The M & J Hardware Building recalls the early commercial development of Lacombe and the significant contributions of the enterprise's founders to business and social life in the community. Like many central Alberta communities, Lacombe's origins can be traced to the completion of the Calgary and Edmonton Railway in 1891. The new line stimulated the creation of numerous stations and a host of new settlements. In 1902, the community known as Barnett was incorporated as the Town of Lacombe. One year prior, local entrepreneurs Norman Morrison and James Johnston had purchased the community's first general store. They operated their hardware business out of this site until 1905, by which time they had outgrown the store and required new accommodations. They constructed the stately M & J Hardware Building in 1906. Both Morrison and Johnston were prominent local citizens; their elegant residences still exist as testimony to their social status. Morrison was especially important to the nascent community of Lacombe. Not only was he one of the wealthiest citizens in the district (and the owner of the first automobile in town), but he also served as alderman and mayor. M & J Hardware remained in operation from 1901 until 1975, making it Lacombe's longest running family business.
From the Alberta Register of Historic Places
Photo goes Here
M & J Hardware 1910 >> 2018
Photo goes Here
M & J Hardware 2018 >> 1910
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
4910 to 4912 - 50 Avenue
Lacombe, AB
T4L 1Y1


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
T0SHEA visited M & J Hardware - Lacombe, AB 9/22/2020 T0SHEA visited it