1881 - Masonic Lodge Block - Anamosa, Iowa
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 42° 06.504 W 091° 17.055
15T E 641855 N 4663236
Quick Description: This three-story, red brick building is located at 130-132 East Main Street in Anamosa, Iowa.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 6/13/2020 2:02:19 PM
Waymark Code: WM12M2R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

Long Description:
Constructed in 1881 by William T. Shaw, this is a 3-story, red brick commercial block. It features a remodeled storefront, with large, plate glass, store windows and an inset entrance. Original (or early) transoms might remain behind coverup materials, which mask the area. A limestone lintel and stringcourse separate the first and second floors. The second floor features six bays, each with 1/1 double-hung sash with limestone hoodmolds and sills. The hoodmolds repeat the design of those at the commercial block next door to the east and the commercial building next door to the west. A limestone stringcourse separates the 2nd and 3rd stories. The 3rd story features six exceptionally tall bays, now filled with foreshortened windows. Elaborate, cast stone hoodmolds of horseshoe-shaped design cap these windows with limestone sills at their base. A cast stone name plaque in Maltese cross design is situated above these windows, indicating that the local chapter of the Grand Army of the Republic also met in the building. A ribbon-shaped cast stone plaque is situated above it. This plaque reads "A[ncient]. F[ree]. & A[ccepted]. M[asons]" above "1881," the date of the block's construction. This edifice is capped with an elaborate parapet with frieze, cornice, and pediment. The pediment is arched, a treatment repeated by the brick frieze. The latter is flanked on each side by horizontal panels, worked in brick. The cornice repeats the line of the pediment and frieze and features corbels, dentils, and a keystone surmounting the arch, worked in limestone and brick. A coping of limestone caps the pediment. Original brick chimneys remain on the west edge of the roof. This block is one of two 3-story edifices extant in the Anamosa Main Street Historic District. The block stands as a landmark in the district because of its height. The rich detailing of its third story further emphasizes its importance. Elizabeth J. Coleman reports the following about this block: "William T. Shaw was the contractor who put up the three story Masonic Lodge building in 1881. The masons determined that they would put up a third story for a lodge room... In the Anamosa Eureka, the structure was described as having 'stone coping and key-stone, (that) are securely tied down by strong iron rods built deep in the wall.' The large store rooms in the 37 by 90 foot structure were looked on with wonder."

-National Registry Entry



ITALIANATE DESIGNS - EXTANT
Masonic Lodge Block
130-132 East Main Street
Built in 1881, 3-story brick, stone hoodmolds, belt courses, & name plaques, elaborate stone & brick cornice

-National Registry Entry



Year of construction: 1881

Full inscription:
Top Circular Stone:
SH. T.W.S.S.T.K
Central Stone:
A. F & A. M.
1881
Bottom Stone:
Maltese Cross with a:
Cross through a Crown
Mallet and Chisel
Masons' Seal of of "G", Compass, and Square
Mason's Trowel


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.