Anamosa, Iowa
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 42° 06.451 W 091° 17.134
15T E 641747 N 4663136
Quick Description: This two-story, red brick building is located at 107 South Ford Street in Anamosa, Iowa.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 6/9/2020 6:56:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM12KBG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:

This building actually appears to be two buildings combined, however, the city marks the building as one address.
The left hand side of the building has a central glass and metal door entry. It appears, though, at one time the entry was much larger and grander - it has mostly been bricked over. Flanking each side of the doorway are a bank of triple windows. Second story fenestration consists of three paired double hung windows with arched transom. The lintels are also arched. The roof is tile. A cupola tops the central part of the roof with a four-faced clock.

The right side of the building has a single metal and glass door on the north part of the facade; another single metal and glass door in the central part of the facade; and a triple window consisting of double-hung panes onthe left side of the facade. The words: "CITY HALL" appear above the central door. Second story fenestration consists of a single arched window on the north part of the facade and four paired double hung windows with arched transom. The lintels are also arched. The Words: "City Hall 1903" appear above the windows. Dentilated brickwork appears above the lettering. The cornice is plain.

In 1941,the U.S. Department of Post Office completed the construction of its new post office on South Ford Street. The City of Anamosa moved into its new city hall, across the street that same year.


Anamosa is a city in Jones County, Iowa, United States. The population was 5,533 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Jones County.

What is now Anamosa was founded as the settlement of Buffalo Forks in 1838 and incorporated as Lexington in 1856. Lexington was a popular name for towns at that time, so when Lexington chose to become incorporated as a city in 1877, the name was changed to Anamosa to avoid mail delivery confusion. There are many stories on how Anamosa was chosen as a name. Some believe it was named for a local Native American girl named Anamosa, meaning "white fawn", while others say it means "You walk with me."

The romantic origin of the naming of the town of Anamosa comes from its early history. A Native American family was passing through town in 1842. The family stayed at the Ford House. The little girl, a Native American Princess, named Anamosa, endeared herself to the townspeople and following the family's departure from town, local citizens decided to name their town after her.

The Wapsipinicon River flows through Anamosa. According to legend, a Native American maiden and her lover threw themselves off a bluff overlooking the Wapsipinicon River; one was named Wapsi, the other Pinicon. Origins of this legend are unconfirmed.

Anamosa was named the Pumpkin Capital of Iowa by the Iowa State Legislature in 1993 and hosts Pumpkinfest, a pumpkin festival and weigh-off, each October.

The Anamosa Boot Hill Cemetery is still open today and is northwest of the town.

-Anamosa Iowa Wikipedia Entry

Name: City Hall

107 South Ford Street
Anamosa, IA USA

Date of Construction: 1903

Architect: unknown


Web Site for City/Town/Municipality: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one original photo of the building that is a different view from the one on the page and describe your visit, including the date. Add any additional information that you may have about this building. A GPSr photo is NOT required
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest City and Town Halls
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.