(Former) Anamosa, Iowa
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 42° 06.468 W 091° 17.134
15T E 641747 N 4663167
Quick Description: This two-story, red brick building is located at 105 South Ford Street in Anamosa, Iowa.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 6/9/2020 6:27:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM12KBC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 2

Long Description:
THE BUILDING:

This is a 2-story, brick commercial building. The brick on the west facade is now painted red. It was constructed circa 1903 and shows the influence of Classical Revival styling on its design. The storefront has been altered, circa 1980, with the installation of cover-up materials and, likely, a redesign of its bay configuration. Now asymmetrical, the front door is now located on the north side of the facade with a picture window to the south. A pent roof, part of this alteration, is situated between the first and second floors. The upper floor features four bays, each with a window featuring a segmental arch above the lintels. Plywood now covers up the windows themselves, but original materials might remain extant underneath it.

In 1941,the U.S. Department of Post Office completed the construction of its new post office on South Ford Street. The City of Anamosa moved into its new city hall, across the street that same year.

-National Registry Entry



THE TOWN:

Anamosa is a city in Jones County, Iowa, United States. The population was 5,533 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Jones County.

What is now Anamosa was founded as the settlement of Buffalo Forks in 1838 and incorporated as Lexington in 1856. Lexington was a popular name for towns at that time, so when Lexington chose to become incorporated as a city in 1877, the name was changed to Anamosa to avoid mail delivery confusion. There are many stories on how Anamosa was chosen as a name. Some believe it was named for a local Native American girl named Anamosa, meaning "white fawn", while others say it means "You walk with me."

The romantic origin of the naming of the town of Anamosa comes from its early history. A Native American family was passing through town in 1842. The family stayed at the Ford House. The little girl, a Native American Princess, named Anamosa, endeared herself to the townspeople and following the family's departure from town, local citizens decided to name their town after her.

The Wapsipinicon River flows through Anamosa. According to legend, a Native American maiden and her lover threw themselves off a bluff overlooking the Wapsipinicon River; one was named Wapsi, the other Pinicon. Origins of this legend are unconfirmed.

Anamosa was named the Pumpkin Capital of Iowa by the Iowa State Legislature in 1993 and hosts Pumpkinfest, a pumpkin festival and weigh-off, each October.

The Anamosa Boot Hill Cemetery is still open today and is northwest of the town.

-Anamosa Iowa Wikipedia Entry

Name: (Former) Anamosa City Hall

Address:
105 South Ford Street
Anamosa, IA USA
52205


Date of Construction: c. 1903

Architect: unknown

Memorials/Commemorations/Dedications:
none


Web Site for City/Town/Municipality: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one original photo of the building that is a different view from the one on the page and describe your visit, including the date. Add any additional information that you may have about this building. A GPSr photo is NOT required
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest City and Town Halls
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.