Clocks of the Church of St. Catherine / Hodiny na kostele Sv. Kateriny - Klimkovice (North-East Moravia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 49° 47.175 E 018° 07.847
34U E 293475 N 5518815
Quick Description: Depicted four classical clocks, with white dials, black Roman numerals and hands, are located on the tower of Renaissance-Baroque Church of St. Catherine (Kostel Sv. Kateriny) in Klimkovice.
Location: Moravskoslezský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 5/29/2020 1:43:50 AM
Waymark Code: WM12H82
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 6

Long Description:

Depicted four classical clocks, with white dials, black Roman numerals and hands, are located on the tower of Renaissance-Baroque Church of St. Catherine (Kostel Sv. Kateriny) in Klimkovice.

Renaissance Church of St. Catherine with a Gothic core (ca 1400) is thanks to the striking Baroque chapel and utilitarian adaptations a valuable witness of the sacral architecture transformations in last 600 years. The three-nave church is a brick longitudinal building with a presbytery and perimeter masonry probably from the turn of the 14th-15th century. The church together with the chateau was completely rebuilt and enlarged by the new Klimkovice owner, Ondrej Bzenec from Markvartice, in the Renaissance style (rib vaults, tower, covered bridge connecting the church with the chateau) in the years 1578-1579. The tower also had the fortification function, which thanks to its strategic location protected the south side of the chateau. On the west wall of the towet the windows have the shape of embrasures. The next owner of the demesne, Jindrich Vilém Wilczek of Gutteland (Vlcek z Dobrozemice), built a magnificent north-side Baroque funeral chapel of St. John of Nepomuk (kaple Sv. Jana Nepomuckého) in the years 1730-1738. He was also buried in it after his death in 1739. His son Josef Maria Wilczek and grandson František Josef Wilczek are also buried here. The church was damaged by a fire which destroyed all its equipment on April 21, 1854. After the following utilitarian reconstruction, new church furniture was also purchased.

Interesting fact: When the church was extended by a tower in the 16th century, the pressure of the soil caused the tower to gradually tilt: today the deviation is 64 cm from the axis.

Source: excerpted and translated from Wikipedia and National Heritage Institute portal.

Status: Working

Display: Mounted

Web link to additional info: [Web Link]

Year built: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.