Civilian Conservation Corps Camp - Lawrence County, SD
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 44° 12.493 W 103° 39.216
13T E 607568 N 4895881
Quick Description: A 1990 South Dakota historical marker stands on the west side of US 385 just northeast of the Roubaix Lake Campground and Picnic Area in the Black Hills National Forest. It provides some history of the CCC and their activities here.
Location: South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 5/22/2020 4:34:54 PM
Waymark Code: WM12G9X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 2

Long Description:
The marker was placed in 1990, sponsored by CCC Alumni, the South Dakota State Historical Society, the State Department of Transportation, and the Black Hills National Forest. It stands about thirteen miles south of Deadwood. It has identical text on both sides, and it reads:

Camp F-6 (Roubaix): 100 yards N of Lake entrance; W of road. Companies: 792 -- 6/3/33-5/15/35; 10/18/35 6/1/40; 10/1/40-10/11/41; 2759V - (Detachment from Park Creek) -- 5/15/35-10/18/35.

The Civilian Conservation Corps was a Federal work-relief program during the Great Depression. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC provided work for 31,097 jobless men in South Dakota -- about 22,000 enrollees (single men aged 17-25), about 1,700 veterans, 4,554 American Indians and 2,834 supervisors. The U.S. Army provided 200 - man camps, food, clothing, medical care and pay, and educational, recreational and religious programs. The Office of Indian Affairs provided similar services for units on Indian reservations.

The U.S. Forest Service supervised Camp F-6. The work of Company 792 included tree thinning, pruning and planting; fire prevention and suppression; rodent and insect control; grazing land improvement; and recreational development. Enrollees removed dead and diseased growth, built fire trails and removed flammable debris from hundreds of acres. They developed scores of springs, built stock dams and fences, and constructed Roubaix Dam along with a beach, swimming area, bath house and campground. The detachment of WWI Veterans in Company 2759V built residences in Deadwood for the forest supervisor and assistant.
Visit Instructions:
Logs must include picture of person with GPS'r in hand with the waymark and log of experience and any additional things learned about the waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civilian Conservation Corps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.