[Former] St. Stephens Methodist Church Troy, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 58.701 W 090° 58.874
15S E 674869 N 4316312
Quick Description: Was for a couple of years a funeral home.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 5/15/2020 7:17:22 AM
Waymark Code: WM12F8Q
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of church: Lincoln County
Location of church: Boone St. & Union St., Troy
City Lot # 188
Date built: 1900-1901
Architectural Style: Shingle
Historic Name: St. Stephens Methodist Church
Current Owner: Credence Church

"211 Boone Street (Contributing)
Located at 211 Boone Street is the former St. Stephens United Methodist Church, most recently used as a funeral chapel. The church was constructed in 1900-1901. The building has a rear (west elevation) educational wing constructed in 1950-1951. The church is a Shingle style building with a steeply pitched, asphalt-shingled gabled roof, exterior brick walls and a raised limestone foundation. The primary (east) elevation faces Union Street. Flanking the primary wing/façade are corner tower bays with flared pyramidal, asphalt-shingled roofs. The southeast tower is one-story in height; the northeast tower is two-and-a-half stories in height and serves as a belfry. Situated on the central façade (recessed between the tower bays) is an open platform/stoop with concrete stairs at either end (north/south) of the stoop. The stairs frame a lower level entrance (below the stoop) that holds a single-light wood panel door flanked by sidelights. Doors are also located at the stoop level, providing entry via both tower wings at either end (north/south) of the elevation. The north tower wing has louvered openings on all elevations. Both towers are clad with decorative wood shingles and hold stained glass lights on the east, north, and south walls. Within the façade’s gable field is a large stained glass light. The stained-glass window is separated horizontally by a decorative sawtooth wood band. The lower half of the window has three two-over-two (horizontal sash) stained glass lights further divided vertically by engaged frame pilasters. The upper half of the window bay is arched and similar in design to the lower window. The front gable field has diamond-shaped and fish scale shingles. Decorative arched wood patterns surround the upper façade window. A louvered vent above the large arched window has a triangular wood pendant below the sill. The building’s side elevations (north and south) hold stained glass lights. The north elevation windows are paired triple-sash design. The south elevation windows are also triple-sash but placed as groups of three. The rear 1950s educational wing (southwest corner) has exterior six-course brick walls and a steeply pitched cross-gabled roof. Several slender stained glass lights extend the full height of the rear wing. Another brick wing is attached at the northwest corner of the church. This wing has a flat roof with metal coping and ten-light, steel sash windows. At the building’s north elevation (east of the rear flat roof corner wing) is another projecting one-story wing with a steeply pitched hipped roof." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Not Sure

Year Built: 1901

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.