Town Hall clocks / Hodiny na radnici - Jílové u Prahy (Central Bohemia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 49° 53.721 E 014° 29.585
33U E 463592 N 5527118
Quick Description: Depicted four classical clocks, with black dials, gilded Roman numerals and hands, are located on clock-tower of the Baroque Town Hall located in town's main public space - Masarykovo námestí (Masaryk Square).
Location: Středočeský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 5/10/2020 3:33:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM12EJN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 6

Long Description:

Depicted four classical clocks, with black dials, gilded Roman numerals and hands, are located on clock-tower of the Baroque Town Hall located in town's main public space - Masarykovo námestí (Masaryk Square).

Beautiful Baroque building of the Town-Hall (Radnice), the key landmark of as small historic town Jílové u Prahy, has Gothic core from the 14th century. At present, the Jílové u Prahy Municipal Office is located here. The original town hall from the 14th century in the town allegedly stood on the site where the house N ° 20 and N ° 21 now stand. The Gothic fortress tower building was built in the middle of the 14th century by members of the Prague burgher family Velflovic, it is first mentioned by the name Mikuláš from the Tower in 1355. The building and the adjacent brewery were destroyed by fire in 1636. The mayor of the town, Ignác Ferdinand Schönpflug, bought the building after 1686 and donated the tower to the municipality for the town hall. However, the tower did not even have a roof at that time, so it was reconstructed and at the first meeting, which took place at the new town hall in 1708, it was decided to add an upper floor. The Town Hall acquired its current appearance in 1724. Thanks to financial support from the state from the Program for the Regeneration of Urban Monument Zones, the town hall was completely reconstructed (1993-1997).

The cornerd of the building are decorated with plaster rustication, on all floors are windows framed by chambranles. The tower with clocks is finished with a mansard roof with a turret. Between the windows of the tower is a rectangular field lined with a stucco profile, in which the painting of St. Florian. The municipality added a side building to the tower in 1854 and a prison in 1855.

Status: Working

Display: Mounted

Web link to additional info: [Web Link]

Year built: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.