1755 - Church of Virgin Mary the Protector / Kostel Panny Marie Ochranitelky - Klášterec nad Ohrí (North-West Bohemia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 50° 23.083 E 013° 10.100
33U E 369784 N 5583010
Quick Description: A chronogram on the front facade of Rococo cemetery Church of Virgin Mary the Protector/Our Lady of Consolation (Kostel Panny Marie Ochranitelky/Utešitelky) in Klášterec nad indicates the year of completion of the rough church's construction.
Location: Ústecký kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 5/3/2020 10:21:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM12D8T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PISA-caching
Views: 8

Long Description:

A chronogram on the front facade of Rococo cemetery Church of Virgin Mary the Protector/Our Lady of Consolation (Kostel Panny Marie Ochranitelky/Utešitelky) in Klášterec nad indicates the year of completion of the rough church's construction.

The pilgrimage Rococo cemetery Church of Virgin Mary the Protector (Kostel Panny Marie Ochranitelky) in Klášterec nad Ohrí was built according to the design of Jan Kryštof Kosch in the years 1743-1760 on the site of the old cemetery chapel. As a model of the church project served to the architect Jan Kryštof Kosch the famous Dientzenhofer's Church of St. John of Nepomuk at Skalka in Prague. The church, oriented from south to north, has an elliptical presbytery and a chancel on the main axis. There are two rectangular side chapels in the transversal axis. The church has two front prismatic slanted towers and two sacristies on diagonals. The towers of the church, roofed by onion domes, were added later - in 1831. They are are single-storey, divided by pilasters and niches. The main portal has rich plastic stucco decorations. The nave, presbytery and choir have a flat vault on the pilasters. The side chapels are barrel vaulted. The church has ceiling frescoes from 1789. The dominant feature of the church is a remarkable ceiling fresco called "The Secret of the Holy Rosary", work of painter Josef Hager. The frescoes in the choir depict the Miracles of the Virgin Mary, the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. In the presbytery there is an fresco with illusory architecture and in whole church space figures of the four Church Fathers and evangelists.

Source: excerpted and translated from Wikipedia and National Heritage Institute portal.


The front facade of the church is decorated by a cartouche with following chronogram:

DeI et MarIæ ConsoLarICIs honorI
[ "Bohu a Marii Utešitelce k pocte" ]
[ "To God and Mary of Consolation in honor" ]

Summa of Latin numerals from the chronogram, MDCCLIIIII, gives the date when rough church's construction was completed - 1755.

Type of numerals used: Roman

Text of the original chronogram: DeI et MarIa ConsoLarICIs honorI

English translation of the chronogram: To God and Mary of Consolation in honor

Pure chronogram?: no

Natural chronogram?: no

Website explaining the chronogram: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo that you took during your visit. Tell us how you like the chronogram, what its condition is and so on.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Chronograms
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.