The Cabildo - New Orleans, LA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member denben
N 29° 57.458 W 090° 03.826
15R E 783375 N 3317718
Quick Description: The Cabildo was the seat of Spanish colonial city hall of New Orleans, Louisiana, and is now the Louisiana State Museum Cabildo. It is located along Jackson Square, adjacent to St. Louis Cathedral.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 4/30/2020 9:54:12 PM
Waymark Code: WM12CWW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 0

Long Description:
This Louisiana historic marker was erected in 1963 by the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. It reads:

"The Cabildo
Erected 1795-1799,
Don Gilberto Guillemard, architect.
Constructed financed and directed by Don Andres Almonester y Roxas.
The mansard roof was added in 1847.

The illustrious Cabildo (Spanish colonial city council) held its sessions here in the Sala Capitular from May 10, 1799 until Nov. 30, 1803. The building housed the city hall of New Orleans, 1803-1853, and the supreme court of Louisiana, 1853-1910.

Until 1914, the prison at the rear was used as a jail servicing the police station on the first floor.

Louisiana State Museum since 1911.

Here on December 20, 1803, were signed the documents transferring the Louisiana Purchase Territory from France to the United States. In 1825 the Cabildo was converted into a fine residence for the visiting General Lafayette.

On this site stood a French colonial Corps de Garde [police station] - 1724 - and a prison and criminal court room (chambre criminelle) - 1730.

The Corps de Garde, rebuilt in 1751, burned in 1788. The remains of its massive brick walls were incorporated in the present Cabildo building in 1795.

The first Cabildo building was constructed here in 1769 by the Spanish governor, Don Alexandro O’Reilly and destroyed in the conflagration of March 21, 1788. Restored 1966-1970 for the Louisiana State Museum."

---

The Cabildo was extensively damaged by a fire on May 11, 1988, which destroyed the cupola and the entire third floor, but it was restored and reopened to the public in 1994.

In 2005, the Cabildo survived Hurricane Katrina, the eye of which passed 30 miles (48 km) east of downtown, with relatively minor damagbusiness offices of the Cabildo to set up what was called the Troop N. e. Days after the storm struck, the Louisiana State Police used the From the Cabildo, state troopers patrolled the city's streets along with police agencies from New Mexico and New York.

Source: (visit link)
Price of Admission: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Roadside Attractions Website: [Web Link]

Location Website: [Web Link]

Weekday Hours: Not listed

Weekend Hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
When posting a new log for a waymark, please include a picture if there isn't one included on the original posting. Add your thoughts about the roadside attraction and let everyone know if it is worth while stopping to see.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roadside Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.