Panagia Paraportiani Church - Chora, Mykonos, Greece
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 37° 26.813 E 025° 19.548
35S E 351907 N 4145764
Quick Description: Panagia Paraportiani Church is located on the waterfront in the Kastro District of Chora, Mykonos, Greece.
Location: Greece
Date Posted: 4/15/2020 3:56:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM12ANK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
Panagia Paraportiani Church literally translates to "Our Lady of the Side Gate Church". It took it's name form its location next to the entrance of a castle. The asymmetric whitewashed structure is really a collection of five separate churches on two levels, four on the lower level and one on the upper level.

The lower level churches are dedicated to Saint Eustathios, Saint Sozon, Saints Anargyroi and Saint Anastasia. Construction of the oldest and main church in the center, the dome-like Agios Anargyros, was built in 1425. The other churches were added in the 16th and 17th centuries. The complete church is an important example of traditional Cycladic architecture.
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.