Anderson County Statue of Liberty - Garnett, Kansas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 16.847 W 095° 14.518
15S E 303902 N 4239346
Quick Description: This is one of the 40th Anniversary replicas produced by the Boy Scouts of America and is located on the northwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse grounds - 100 East 4th Street in Garnett, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 4/7/2020 4:27:44 PM
Waymark Code: WM129PZ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member woolsox
Views: 1

Long Description:
This approximately 8-and-a-half foot copper sculpture, part of the 40th anniversary commemoration of the Boy Scouts of America of 1950, is located on the northwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse grounds. The statue is situated on a cut stone plinth approximately 5-foot tall.
Presented to
THE CITIZENS OF GARNETT
by
BEN AND LENA KAY
Honoring
Garnett Boy Scout Troop No. 126
July 4, 1950

- Marker Text



Strengthen the Arm of Liberty is the theme of the Boy Scouts of America's fortieth anniversary celebration in 1950. The campaign was inaugurated in February with a dramatic ceremony held at the base of the Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World). Approximately 200 BSA Statue of Liberty replicas were installed across the United States.

As part of the Strengthening the Arm of Liberty campaign to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), hundreds of scale replicas of the Statue of Liberty have been created nationwide. The Statue of Liberty, by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, bears the classical appearance of the Roman stola, sandals, and facial expression which are derived from Libertas, ancient Rome's goddess of freedom from slavery, oppression, and tyranny. Her raised right foot is on the move. This symbol of Liberty and Freedom is not standing still or at attention in the harbor, but moving forward, as her left foot tramples broken shackles at her feet, in symbolism of the United States's wish to be free from oppression and tyranny.

- Strengthen the Arm of Liberty Wikipedia Page



The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York, in the United States. The copper statue, a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States, was designed by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi and its metal framework was built by Gustave Eiffel. The statue was dedicated on October 28, 1886.

The statue is a figure of Libertas, a robed Roman liberty goddess. She holds a torch above her head with her right hand, and in her left hand carries a tabula ansata inscribed JULY IV MDCCLXXVI (July 4, 1776 in Roman numerals), the date of the U.S. Declaration of Independence. A broken shackle and chain lie at her feet as she walks forward, commemorating the recent national abolition of slavery. After its dedication, the statue became an icon of freedom and of the United States; it has been a welcoming sight to immigrants arriving by sea.

Bartholdi was inspired by a French law professor and politician, Édouard René de Laboulaye, who is said to have commented in 1865 that any monument raised to U.S. independence would properly be a joint project of the French and U.S. peoples. Because of the post-war instability in France, work on the statue did not commence until the early 1870s. In 1875, Laboulaye proposed that the French finance the statue and the U.S. provide the site and build the pedestal. Bartholdi completed the head and the torch-bearing arm before the statue was fully designed, and these pieces were exhibited for publicity at international expositions.

- Statue of Liberty Wikipedia Page



SCULPTOR: Unknown
Bartholdi, Frederic Auguste 1834-1904 (copy after)

MEDIUM: Sculpture: painted copper sheet over steel armature; Base: limestone and concrete

TYPE: Sculptures-Outdoor Sculpture
Sculptures-Copy
Sculptures

OWNER/LOCATION: County of Anderson Courthouse Square Garnett Kansas 66032

DATE: Dedicated July 4, 1950

SUMMARY: Allegorical female figure, representing Liberty, stands holding a torch aloft in her proper right hand. A book or tablet is crooked in her proper left elbow. The figure wears Classical-style robes and a star-like crown. Sculpture stands on a square, tapered pedestal on a square base.

TOPIC: Figure female--Full length
Allegory--Civic--Liberty
Dress--Historic--Classical Dress
Object--Other--Torch
Dress--Accessory--Hat
Object--Written Matter

CONTROL NUMBER: IAS KS000402

- Smithsonian Outdoor Inventory Record

Location: northwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse grounds

Pedestal?: Yes

Visit Instructions:
A clear photo of the statue is recommended. Feel free to write about your experience there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Statues of Liberty
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.