Antigua Naval Dockyard - English Harbor, Antigua,
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 17° 00.480 W 061° 45.915
20Q E 631433 N 1880854
Quick Description: The Antigua Naval Dockyard, a.k.a. Nelson's Dockyard, is located in English Harbor on the southeast coast of Antigua.
Location: Antigua and Barbuda
Date Posted: 3/13/2020 4:42:56 AM
Waymark Code: WM126MD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Antigua Naval Dockyard is better known as Nelson's Dockyard. It is named after Admiral Horatio Nelson, who lived here from 1784 through 1787 when it was an important Royal Navy Dockyard in the Caribbean.

The Dockyard was constructed in the 1740s. It included quarters for the Commander-in-Chief on the site of the Officers’ Quarters, storerooms, a kitchen and a shelter. The Dockyard was built to protect British financial interests in the sugar producing islands of the Eastern Caribbean. The British occupied the site until 1889. It was then abandoned and fell into disrepair. In 1951, Society of the Friends of English Harbour began restoration of the dockyard. It was opened to the public in in the 1960s.

Today Dockyard Museum, located in the former Admiral’s House, has exhibits about the history of the Dockyard. Others buildings are re-purposed to including gift shops, art galleries, and restaurants.
Type: Site

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1499

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.