Eglise Saint Pierre - Parnay, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 47° 13.891 E 000° 00.495
31T E 273542 N 5235234
Quick Description: An 11th century church with a view of the Loire Valley. Une eglise du XI eme siecle avec une vue sur la Vallée de la Loire.
Location: Pays de la Loire, France
Date Posted: 2/12/2020 5:31:19 AM
Waymark Code: WM122XA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Long Description:
source Art and Chapels:
The church of Parnay, dedicated to Saint Pierre, which stands entirely isolated at the top and on the edge of the hill overlooking the Loire, was part of the domain of the bishopric of Angers in the 11th century.
It was subservient to Canon Rainard who, with the consent of Bishop Geoffroy, donated it to the Abbey of Saint-Aubin d'Angers in 1089.
She later passed on to the patronage of the cathedral church of Poitiers, the chapter of which collected two-thirds of the tithes, leaving the other third to the parish priest.

In September 1587, the Huguenots occupied the parish for a fortnight, as pointed out by the then parish priest, Gilles Mauxion.

The first known lord of Parnay is Jean du Plessis dit le Bègue, squire and advisor to King René in 1454, whose tomb can be seen in the church but the lordship of the parish was the subject of a dispute between the neighboring lord de Targé who had provided the land for the church and the Lord of Parnay who held his rights from the chapter of Poitiers. They were often treated in the acts of "coseigneurs".

The building shows a complicated evolution. On the right and in front of the choir, stands the bell tower which dates from the beginning of the 12th century. It is pierced, on each side, with twin arches with double arches and crowned with a hexagonal 16th century stone spire confined to the angles of windows with protruding gables as in Cizay and Saint-Eusèbe de Gennes. In the south corner, a 15th- 16th century staircase turret is attached to the Romanesque bell tower.
Inside, the nave, rebuilt in the 19th century, communicates with the aisles by semicircular arches which rest on cylindrical pillars, the capitals of which, adorned with leaves of water or coarsely carved animals, are only witnesses of the 11th century church. The transept square is vaulted with a semicircular cradle and the pillars carrying it are molded with a bevel lined with hollow stars. The span under the bell tower shows an arcade with an alternation of brick and tuffeau as in Saint-Serge and Saint-Martin d 'Angers; this alternation could be a vestige of an earlier church. The Gothic choir was built in the 15th century, as well as the polygonal apse lit by two flamboyantly-grated windows and covered with a seven-pointed vault. The chapel to the south of the transept is dedicated to the Virgin. It was adorned with a remarkable 15th century gilded wooden statue which was stolen on January 31, 1978 and has not been found.

The feudal lord, at the northern transept, contains the tomb decorated with four leaves and the coat of arms of Jean du Plessis cited above, died on November 28, 1476 and his wife Michelle des Clausis died on October 16, 1479. Made in 1836 by the handicapped painter César Ducornet, who painted with his feet.
Finally, at the entrance of the church, - there is a holy water font cut out of six interior lobes in an elongated cube and further on the left, embedded in the first pillar, a second holy water font whose two projecting angles are carved from grotesque heads.



source Art et Chapelles :
L’église de Parnay, dédiée à saint Pierre, qui se dresse tout isolée au faîte et sur le rebord du coteau dominant la Loire, faisait partie au 11e siècle du domaine de l’évêché d’Angers.
Elle était inféodée au chanoine Rainard qui, avec le consentement de l’évêque Geoffroy, en fit don à l’abbaye Saint-Aubin d’Angers en 1089.
Elle passa plus tard au patronage de l’église cathédrale de Poitiers dont le chapitre percevait les deux tiers des dîmes laissant l’autre tiers au curé.

En septembre 1587, les huguenots occupèrent la paroisse pendant une quinzaine de jours comme le signale le curé de l’époque, Gilles Mauxion.

Le premier seigneur connu de Parnay est Jean du Plessis dit le Bègue, écuyer et conseiller du roi René en 1454, dont la tombe se voit dans l’église mais la seigneurie de la paroisse était l’objet d’une contestation entre le seigneur voisin de Targé qui avait fourni le terrain de l’église et le seigneur de Parnay qui tenait ses droits du chapitre de Poitiers. On les traita souvent dans les actes de « coseigneurs ».

Le bâtiment témoigne d’une évolution compliquée. Sur la droite et en avant du chœur, s’élève le clocher qui date du début du 12e siècle. Il est percé, sur chaque face, de baies géminées à double voussure et couronné d’une flèche hexagonale en pierre du 16e siècle cantonnée aux angles de fenêtres à pignons saillants comme à Cizay et à Saint-Eusèbe de Gennes. Dans l’angle sud, une tourelle d’escalier du 15e- 16e siècle, est accolée au clocher roman.
A l’intérieur, la nef reconstruite au 19e, communique avec les bas-côtés par des arcades en plein cintre qui s’appuient sur des piliers cylindriques dont les chapiteaux, ornés de feuilles d’eau ou d’animaux grossièrement sculptés, sont les seuls témoins de l’église du 11e siècle. Le carré du transept est voûté d’un berceau en plein cintre et les piliers qui le portent sont moulurés d’un biseau garni d’étoiles en creux. La travée sous le clocher montre une arcade avec une alternance de brique et de tuffeau comme à Saint-Serge et à Saint-Martin d’Angers ; cette alternance pourrait être un vestige d’une église antérieure. Le chœur gothique a été construit au 15e siècle ainsi que l’abside polygonale éclairée de deux fenêtres à réseau flamboyant et couverte d’une voûte à sept branches. La chapelle au sud du transept est vouée à la Vierge. Elle était ornée d’une remarquable statue en bois doré du 15e siècle qui fut volée le 31 janvier 1978 et n’a pas été retrouvée.

L’enfeu seigneurial, au transept nord, renferme le tombeau orné de quatre feuilles et d’armoiries de Jean du Plessis cité plus haut, mort le 28 novembre 1476 et de son épouse Michelle des Clausis morte le 16 octobre 1479.réalisé en 1836 par le peintre César Ducornet, handicapé, qui peignait avec ses pieds.
Enfin, à l’entrée de l’église,- on trouve un bénitier découpé de six lobes intérieurs dans un cube allongé et plus loin sur la gauche, encastré dans le premier pilier, un second bénitier dont les deux angles en saillie sont sculptés de têtes grotesques.

Le tableau « La Prédication de saint François-Xavier en Inde » a été
Source : Annick Adam, sur le site (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Eglise Saint Pierre - Parnay, France 10/30/2020 sara et gege visited it