Eglise Saint Hilaire de Cramard - Chalandray, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Bono2333
N 46° 39.225 E 000° 01.127
31T E 271896 N 5171005
Quick Description: [FR] L'Eglise Saint Hilaire de Cramard dans la commune de Chalandray. [EN] The Saint Hilaire Church of Cramard in the commune of Chalandray.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 2/7/2020 3:19:10 PM
Waymark Code: WM1227Z
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 5

Long Description:
[FR] "L'ancienne église de Cramard, nommée Saint Hilaire de Cramard apparait dans le cartulaire de l'abbaye Saint Cyprien de Poitiers dès 928. Jusqu'à la Révolution, le prieuré et la cure dépendent de l'abbaye de Saint Jouin de Marnes dans les Deux-Sèvres.

En 1721 la paroisse est très pauvre mais doit réparer son église. La restauration a pu s'accomplir de façon satisfaisante grâce au don généreux de Mlle Anaïs Chénier, bienfaitrice de cette église. La famille du poète français André Chénier (1762-1794) est également concernée par plusieurs actes des registres paroissiaux. Un des prêtres de Cramard, Nicolas Chenier est mort en 1776 à 71 ans. Son acte de sépulture figure dans le choeur de l'église de Chalandray.



En 1845, la paroisse de Camard est annexée par celle de Chalandray. Les deux communes seront réunies en 1819. L'église est entretenue, un plafond est ajouté au XIXe siècle et la dernière campagne de restauration a lieu de 1984 à 1991.

L'église est entourée d'un cimetière dans lequel subsistent des pierres tombales du XVIIe. Les lourdes pierres sépulcrales surmontées d'une croix de granit sont gravées du signe de la Rédemption avec un « ci-gît » ou de tombes coniques.

Le bâtiment rectangulaire dédié à Saint Hilaire est roman avec d'étroites baies à linteau monolithique gravé de faux-claveaux du Xie. Il n'a ni abside ni transept. Chacun des pignons est raidi par deux contreforts. Le clocher-arcades dispose de deux cloches qui datent de 1755 qui ont longtemps résonné sur la vallée. Une autre croix surmonte l'angle sud-est.

Cette bâtisse a une nef unique, sans voûte ni plafond, Le bénitier est taillé dans le granit comme les fonts baptismaux. Deux chapelles encadrent le maître-autel.
Au nord, s'ouvrant par une arcade en plein cintre, et munie d'un petit autel, la chapelle des Francs qui doit son nom aux seigneurs de la Bretonnière puis par suite d'alliances au Marquis de Nieul, grand sénéchal de Saintonge, lieutenant des vaisseaux du Roi. Elle comprend une pierre tombale de François de Francs mort en 1704 et une statue de Saint Macou qui attirait beaucoup de pèlerins pour des dévotions pour les enfants malingres ou attardés.

Côté sud, se situe la chapelle de la Vierge qui appartint aux Jousserand du domaine de Rouilly. Sa voûte du XVe est ornée de nravures. Elles retombent sur des culots et sur l'écusson chargé de quatre griffes cantonnées qui figure à la clé. La Vierge à l'Enfant en bois polychromé date de la fin du XVIIIe.
Le maître d'hôtel est surprenant par son élégance, Il est orné d'un beau retable du XVIIe. On peut y voir un écusson rectangulaire daté de 1627. Deux écussons couronnent les portes qui donnent accès à la sacristie. Le retable a gardé la pureté et la blancheur de la pierre du tailleur."


Source : Panneau devant l'église.



[EN] "The old church of Cramard, named Saint Hilaire de Cramard appears in the cartulaire of the abbey of Saint Cyprien de Poitiers from 928. Until the Revolution, the priory and the cure depend on the abbey of Saint Jouin de Marnes in Two Sevres.
In 1721 the parish was very poor but had to repair its church. The restoration was satisfactorily accomplished thanks to the generous donation of Miss Anaïs Chénier, benefactor of this church. The family of the French poet André Chénier (1762-1794) is also concerned by several acts from the parish registers. One of Cramard's priests, Nicolas Chenier died in 1776 at the age of 71. His act of burial appears in the choir of the church of Chalandray.

In 1845, the parish of Camard was annexed by that of Chalandray. The two municipalities will be united in 1819. The church is maintained, a ceiling is added in the 19th century and the last restoration campaign took place from 1984 to 1991.
The church is surrounded by a cemetery in which 17th century tombstones remain. The heavy sepulchral stones surmounted by a granite cross are engraved with the sign of Redemption with a "ci-git" or conical tombs.
The rectangular building dedicated to Saint Hilaire is Romanesque with narrow bays with a monolithic lintel engraved with false keystones from the 11th century. It has neither apse nor transept. Each of the gables is stiffened by two buttresses. The bell tower-arcades has two bells dating from 1755 which have long resonated over the valley. Another cross overcomes the southeast corner.



This building has a single nave, without vault or ceiling. The holy water font is carved out of granite like the baptismal font. Two chapels frame the main altar.
To the north, opening by a semicircular arcade, and provided with a small altar, the Chapel of the Franks which owes its name to the lords of Bretonnière then as a result of alliances with the Marquis of Nieul, great seneschal of Saintonge, lieutenant of the King's vessels. It includes a tombstone of François de Francs who died in 1704 and a statue of Saint Macou which attracted many pilgrims for devotions for sickly or retarded children.

On the south side, there is the chapel of the Virgin which belonged to the Jousserands of the Rouilly estate. Its 15th century vault is decorated with engravings. They fall on caps and on the escutcheon loaded with four canted claws which appears in the key. The Virgin and Child in polychromed wood dates from the end of the 18th century.
The butler is surprising in its elegance. It is adorned with a fine 17th century altarpiece. You can see a rectangular escutcheon dated 1627. Two escutcheons crown the doors which give access to the sacristy. The altarpiece has kept the purity and whiteness of the tailor's stone."

Source : Sign in front of the church
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Bono2333 visited Eglise Saint Hilaire de Cramard - Chalandray, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France 2/8/2020 Bono2333 visited it