Altar Windows of St. John's Cathedral - St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 17° 07.366 W 061° 50.533
20Q E 623164 N 1893502
Quick Description: St. John's Cathedral, a.k.a. the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, is an Anglican cathedral located on a hilltop on Newgate Street, the highest point of St. John's, Antigua.
Location: Antigua and Barbuda
Date Posted: 2/5/2020 10:33:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM121ZB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

St. John's Cathedral is the tallest structure in Antigua and Barbuda. The Cathedral, after years of repair is now open to the public. Three stained glass windows are located high above and behind he altar. During the repair of the church they removed and sent to Germany for refurbishment. They have recently been reinstalled as the renovation of the church nears completion.

The central window portrays the Crucifixion of Jesus with the his mother Mary on his right side and the Apostle St. John the Divine on his left side. The image is contained within a circle in the middle of the window. The remainder of the window is decorated with a white and gold grapevine pattern within diamond shaped rectangles in the middle and white and gold flowers accented with blue and red squares around the edges.

The bottom of the window has the inscription:


The window on the north side of the central window has the coat of arms of the Diocese of North Eastern Caribbean and Aruba surrounded by a complex ornate multicolor background. The window on the south side of the central window has the coat of arms of the Diocese of North Eastern Caribbean and Aruba impaled with the coat of arms of the Arms of the Diocese are impaled with the coat of arms of the first bishop of Antigua The Rev. D.G. Davis.

Several churches have stood on the site of the present St. John's Cathedral. The first was consecrated in 1683. The church fell into disrepair and was rebuilt in 1746. Diocese of Antigua was created in August 1842 and the church became a cathedral. A new grander church was being planned when in 1843 a violent earthquake destroyed the church.

A new church befitting the status of a cathedral was designed in the neo-Baroque style architects J. Fuller of Bath. The Clerk of Works was Mr. F.W. Rowe of Bristol. The cornerstone was laid on October 9, 1843 and the Cathedral was opened for services on October 10, 1846. It was consecrated on July 25, 1848. It belongs to the Diocese of North Eastern Caribbean and Aruba as one of eight dioceses of the Church in the Province of the West Indies.

The Cathedral is constructed of reef stone. It is 156' in length and 46' wide. The cathedral has a capacity of 2,200 persons. The west facing front features 70' high twin towers topped by cupolas.

Type of building where window is located: Church

Newgate Street
St. John's, st. John Parish Antigua

Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: Daily

Hours of Operation: From: 6:00 AM To: 8:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.