Église Saint-Martin - Gouy-Saint-André, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 22.315 E 001° 53.788
31U E 421525 N 5580565
Quick Description: [EN] The Saint-Martin church is a white stone building from the 15th or 16th century, which consists of a choir, a nave of two spans, and a tower. [FR] L'église Saint-Martin est un édifice en pierre blanche du XVe ou XVIe siècle, qui se compose d'un chœur, d'une nef de deux travées, et d'une tour.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 1/30/2020 2:20:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM12173
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:

"The church of Gouy-Saint-André is cited in 1123 in a charter of Bishop Enguerrand placing the church under the patronage of the abbey of Saint-Josse-sur-Mer.

The Saint-Martin church is a white stone building from the 15th or 16th century, which consists of a choir, a nave of two spans, a tower in the fore body carrying a 1673 vintage stone on its face west, preceded by a porch dated 1775. A stone sacristy is attached to the axial side of the chevet.

The nave could constitute the oldest part of the building, one notes on each of its north and south faces, a small semicircular bay of Romanesque style, today walled. A baptistery was added in the northwest corner of the nave in the 19th century, and in 1860, the paneled ceiling of the nave was replaced by a false sexpartite vault. Two chapels were created to form a transept, the rectangular and irregular bays were replaced by broken arch windows.

The choir, higher than the nave, also wider, has a three-sided chevet and two spans. Graffiti "1587" on its north wall dates it as before this year. The choir built in the flamboyant Gothic style, presents vaults with ivy and tiercerons, with carved keys where a chalice is observed, the instruments of the Passion, an angel blowing in a trunk, and the tetramorph, symbolic representation of the 4 evangelists. The vaults fall on dead ends with scrolls of vine, ivy and oak. The choir is lit by seven flamboyant bays. The swimming pool has a arch with three rollers, in the same style as the portal which pierces its south wall, whose archivolt in basket handle is surmounted by a carved stone where we can still guess a crown of laurels. This side portal opens onto a corridor leading into the sacristy built a posteriori and covered with a pointed arch.

The tower replaced in 1673 an old campenard. It rises on 4 separate levels of stone cords. Its ground floor has a cross vault of sexpartite warheads, but its upper floor was deprived of it to allow the passage of bells during the Revolution.

The neoclassical-style porch was created in 1775. On its mitred pediment, during the Terror, a revolutionary inscription had been engraved: "The French people recognize the Supreme Being and immortality".

The church underwent some restorations in the 19th century. From 1860 to 1863, repairs to the nave (vaults) were entrusted to the architect Émile Lavezzari, then in 1862-1863, the cornices, the arch and the arch of the entrance were redone, a large buttress of the bell tower, bays and tiling are restored, and a door is pierced between the tribune and the bell tower. In 1869-1870, Clovis Normand led a new renovation of the church: the bays of the nave were restored, the roofs of the choir and the sacristy were redone.

The church has two works from the Saint-André-au-Bois abbey closed to the Revolution: a Virgin and Child in stone, carrying on its base a coiled snake biting an apple, and a large cross Christ oak carrying at the bottom a rockery style cartridge inscribed: "PATER IN TE SPERO". This work is supposed to be due to the sculptor Simon Pfaff de Pfaffenhoffen (1715-1784): the chronicle of the Abbey of Dommartin on which depended the Saint-André-au-Bois abbey, mentions the blessing in 1776 of a Christ financed by the farmer of the abbey, in the hamlet of Lambus, near Gouy-Saint-André. "

Sources : The Church from what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" L'église de Gouy-Saint-André est citée en 1123 dans une charte de l'évêque Enguerrand plaçant l'église sous le patronage de l'abbaye de Saint-Josse-sur-Mer.

L'église Saint-Martin est un édifice en pierre blanche du XVe ou XVIe siècle, qui se compose d'un chœur, d'une nef de deux travées, d'une tour en avant-corps portant une pierre millésimée 1673 sur sa face ouest, précédée d'un porche daté de 1775. Une sacristie en pierre est adossée au pan axial du chevet.

La nef pourrait constituer la partie la plus ancienne de l'édifice, on note sur chacune de ses faces nord et sud, une petite baie en plein cintre de style roman, aujourd'hui murée. Un baptistère a été ajouté dans l'angle nord-ouest de la nef au XIXe, et en 1860, le plafond lambrissé de la nef est remplacé par une fausse voûte sexpartite. Deux chapelles ont été créées pour former un transept, les baies rectangulaires et irrégulières ont été remplacées par des fenêtres en arc brisé.

Le chœur plus élevé que la nef, plus large aussi, possède un chevet à trois pans et deux travées. Un graffiti « 1587 » sur son mur nord le date comme antérieur à cette année. Le chœur bâti dans le style gothique flamboyant, présente des voûtes à liernes et tiercerons, aux clefs sculptées où s'observent un calice, les instruments de la Passion, un ange soufflant dans une trompe, et le tétramorphe, représentation symbolique des 4 évangélistes. Les voûtes retombent sur des culs-de-lampe à rinceaux de vigne, de lierre et de chêne. Le chœur est éclairé de sept baies flamboyantes. La piscine possède une voussure à trois rouleaux, de même style que le portail qui perce son mur sud, dont l'archivolte en anse de panier est surmontée d'une pierre sculptée où l'on devine encore une couronne de lauriers. Ce portail latéral ouvre sur un couloir donnant dans la sacristie construite a posteriori et couverte d'une voûte en ogives.

La tour remplaça en 1673 un ancien campenard. Elle s'élève sur 4 niveaux séparés de cordons de pierre. Son rez-de-chaussée présente une voûte en croisée d'ogives sexpartite, mais son étage supérieur en a été privé pour permettre le passage des cloches à la Révolution.

Le porche de style néoclassique fut créé en 1775. Sur son fronton mitré, durant la Terreur, une inscription révolutionnaire avait été gravée : « Le peuple français reconnaît l'Être suprême et l'immortalité ».

L'église a subit quelques restaurations au XIXe. De 1860 à 1863, des travaux de réfection de la nef (voûtes) sont confiés à l'architecte Émile Lavezzari, puis en 1862-1863, on refait les corniches, l'arc et la voûte de l'entrée, un gros contrefort du clocher, des baies et le carrelage sont restaurés, et une porte est percée entre la tribune et le clocher. En 1869-1870, c'est Clovis Normand qui mène un nouveau chantier de rénovation de l'église : les baies de la nef sont rétablies, les toitures du chœur et de la sacristie sont refaites.

L'église compte deux œuvres provenant de l'abbaye Saint-André-au-Bois fermée à la Révolution : une Vierge à l'Enfant en pierre, portant sur son socle un serpent enroulé mordant une pomme, et un grand Christ en croix en chêne portant au bas un cartouche de style rocaille inscrit : « PATER IN TE SPERO ». Cette œuvre est supposée due au sculpteur Simon Pfaff de Pfaffenhoffen (1715-1784) : la chronique de l'abbaye de Dommartin dont dépendait l'abbaye Saint-André-au-Bois, mentionne la bénédiction en 1776 d'un Christ financé par le fermier de l'abbaye, au hameau de Lambus, proche de Gouy-Saint-André. "

Sources : L’Eglise d'après ce que nous dit Wikipedia.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Saint-Martin - Gouy-Saint-André, France 1/30/2020 pmaupin visited it