Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi - Hesdin, France, ID=943-049
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 22.383 E 002° 02.183
31U E 431477 N 5580553
Quick Description: [EN] The belfry of Hesdin is a quadrangular stone tower with a square base which rises on three levels of equal dimensions. [FR] Le beffroi d'Hesdin est une tour de pierre quadrangulaire de base carrée qui s'élève sur trois niveaux d'égales dimensions.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 1/29/2020 1:17:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM1215E
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 1

Long Description:

"The municipal belfry of Hesdin is 70 meters high. The base (not visible, hidden by the town hall) is a very simple square tower of three floors, containing three vaulted dungeons superimposed.

It is crowned with an openwork platform of scrollwork decorations. It is at this level that the fourth floor begins, pierced on each side with a mullioned window and crowned with a semicircular arch frieze.

This tower ends with an octagonal lantern, which contains a 2000 kilo bell called Danièle, Marie, Pauline, Henriette.

As early as 1563, the town hall and belfry complex was built on the site of the country house of Charles V’s sister, Marie of Hungary. The main structure of the belfry was completed around 1581, requiring 75,000 bricks. In 1576, aldermen prisons were set up at the foot of the belfry. On May 24, 1639, the French besieged Hesdin where they used the bus for the first time. The belfry, shot down by cannons, is then temporarily rebuilt in wood.

In 1768, the city's notables assembled to deliberate on the reconstruction of the communal tower which threatened to fall into ruin. During this assembly, two projects are examined: the restoration of the tower or the reconstruction of the belfry. Neither project will succeed, but for safety, the tower is demolished. Due to a lack of means to have it rebuilt, the town remained almost a century without a belfry.

By will of February 10, 1875, Mr. Daniel Lereuil, lawyer, son of the Mayor, bequeathed to the city the sum of 12,000 F gold. Called to decide on the use of this legacy, the municipal council decides to apply it to the reconstruction of the upper part of the belfry, which will be erected according to the plans of the Hesdin architect Clovis Normand. As the will is not enough to settle the importance of the work, Mr. Paul Lereuil, mayor of Hesdin and father of the testator, bears the additional cost.

In 1878, the new municipal tower was inaugurated. At the same time, we proceed to the blessing of a bell given to the city by Mr. and Mrs. Lereuil and baptized with first names of the latter Danièle, Marie, Pauline, Henriette. In 1879, they also donated a clock whose dials occupied each of the facades of the belfry. The DL initials are forged on the second floor balcony in honor of Daniel Lereuil. "

Sources : The Belfry

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Le beffroi communal d’Hesdin mesure 70 mètres de hauteur. La base (non visible, cachée par l'hôtel de ville) est une tour carrée très simple de trois étages, contenant trois cachots voûtés superposés.

Elle est couronnée d’une plate-forme ajourée de décors à volutes. C’est à ce niveau que prend naissance le quatrième étage, percé sur chaque face d’une fenêtre à meneaux et couronné d’une frise d’arcades en plein cintre.

Cette tour se termine par une lanterne octogonale, qui renferme une cloche de 2000 kilos baptisée Danièle, Marie, Pauline, Henriette.

Dès 1563, l’ensemble hôtel de ville-beffroi est construit à l’emplacement de la maison de campagne de la sœur de Charles Quint, Marie de Hongrie. Le gros œuvre du beffroi est achevé vers 1581, nécessitant 75000 briques. En 1576, des prisons échevinales sont aménagées dans le pied du beffroi. Le 24 mai 1639, les Français assiégent Hesdin où ils utilisent l’obus pour la première fois. Le beffroi, abattu par les canons, est ensuite reconstruit provisoirement en bois.

En 1768, les notables de la ville s’assemblent pour délibérer de la reconstruction de la tour communale qui menace de tomber en ruine. Au cours de cette assemblée, deux projets sont examinés : le rétablissement de la tour ou la reconstruction du beffroi. Aucun des deux projets n’aboutira mais, par sécurité, la tour est démolie. Par manque de moyens pour le faire reconstruire, la commune reste près d’un siècle sans beffroi.

Par testament du 10 février 1875, M. Daniel Lereuil, avocat, fils du Maire, lègue à la ville la somme de 12 000 F or. Appelé à se prononcer sur l’emploi de ce legs, le conseil municipal décide de l’appliquer à la reconstruction de la partie supérieure du beffroi, qui sera érigée selon les plans de l’architecte hesdinois Clovis Normand. Comme le testament ne suffit pas à solder l’importance des travaux, M. Paul Lereuil, maire d’Hesdin et père du testateur, prend à son compte le complément de la dépense.

En 1878, la nouvelle tour communale est inaugurée. Dans un même temps, on procède à la bénédiction d’une cloche donnée à la ville par M. et Mme Lereuil et baptisée des prénoms de cette dernière Danièle, Marie, Pauline, Henriette . En 1879, ils font également don d’une horloge dont les cadrans occupent chacune des façades du beffroi. Les initiales DL sont forgées sur le balcon du deuxième étage en l’honneur de Daniel Lereuil. "

Sources : Le Beffroi

Type: Building

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/fr/list/943/<943-049>

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi - Hesdin, France, ID=943-049 1/30/2020 pmaupin visited it