Stained Glass Windows - St Wilfrid - North Muskham, Nottinghamshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 53° 07.116 W 000° 48.514
30U E 646654 N 5887706
Quick Description: Stained glass windows in St Wilfrid's church, North Muskham.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/12/2020 12:32:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM11YGR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Stained glass windows in St Wilfrid's church, North Muskham.

"There are several stained glass windows, very little of which is of late medieval date. Two north aisle windows and the south aisle east window contain 15th century glass incorporating the Barton rebus. A rebus is a heraldic device hinting at the name of the bearer, in this case representations of a barrel or 'tun', part of the rebus based on the Barton (Bear - tun) family name, the badge of the family who were the benefactors to the church before the Reformation, and resided at Holme.

Chancel East Window:

The east window dates from around 1905 and is a memorial to the Rev. Francis Oswald Colley, vicar of North Muskham 1902-05. The window depicts Our Lord, Paulinus, Mary, St Wilfrid and Mary Magdalene. The inscription reads:

TO
the Glory of God
and in
loving memory of
Francis Oswald
Colley M A
Vicar of
North Muskham-
cum-Bathley
1902-1905
This window is
erected by his Mother,
Brother & Sisters.


North Aisle:

The east window of the north aisle has stained glass produced by the Nottingham company of Hincks and Burnell in 1939. The window was commissioned by Maria Beatrix Hull in memory of the Rev John Winstanley Hull (vicar of North Muskham from 1853 to 1902), his wife Charlotte Augusta, his eldest son William and his youngest daughter, Katherine. The Latin inscription reads:

Hanc fenestram ornandam curavit
Maria Beatrix Hull in piam
memoriam Johannis Winstanley
Hull hujus ecclesiae decem lustra
vicarii, Carlottae Augustae uxoris
ejus, Gulielmi filii ejus natu maximi,
Katherinae filiae natu minimae.
Anno Domini MCMXXXVIII.


The north wall of the north aisle has to the west a window with stained glass panels with the Barton rebus and to the east a window with similar 15th century stained glass fragments in the head.

The south wall of the south aisle has to the west a stained glass window dating from c.1913. A brass plaque reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN MEMORY OF SAMUEL THOMPSON
PARISH CLERK OF NORTH MUSKHAM & BATHLEY
A.D.1847 TO A.D.1913 & TO COMMEMORATE
THAT UNTIL A.D.1854 THE PARISHES OF NORTH MUSKHAM
(S. WILFRID), & HOLME (S. GILES), WERE UNITED.
THIS WINDOW IS GIVEN BY HIS SON THOMAS THOMPSON


The east window of the south aisle has fragments of 15th century stained glass with the Barton rebus.

Tower:

The west window portrays St Paulinus and incorporates the coat of arms of Thomas Lewis Kekewich Edge of Strelley Hall who gifted it to the church. It was made by C. E. Kempe & Co. of London in 1907.

The inscription reads:
d. d. Thomas L. K. Edge
of Strelley mcmvii
"

SOURCE - (visit link)
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
St Wilfrid
Main Street
North Muskham, Nottinghamshire England
NG23 6HG


Days of Operation: Daytime

Hours of Operation: From: 12:00 AM To: 12:00 AM

Admission Charge: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.